1997-07-17 - Re: Verisign gets export approval

Header Data

From: Adam Shostack <adam@homeport.org>
To: shamrock@netcom.com (Lucky Green)
Message Hash: 4fe4ea62e9e245f201ddbe7bdfd3dd1d1461a587c2aa11acd88d7e090787aa24
Message ID: <199707171339.JAA19638@homeport.org>
Reply To: <3.0.2.32.19970716235341.0072b670@netcom10.netcom.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-07-17 13:56:42 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 17 Jul 1997 21:56:42 +0800

Raw message

From: Adam Shostack <adam@homeport.org>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 1997 21:56:42 +0800
To: shamrock@netcom.com (Lucky Green)
Subject: Re: Verisign gets export approval

	This is sort of entertaining considering that Verisign still
doesn't use strong encryption for themselves.  (Set your browser to
not use broken algorithms, and try to connect to www.verisign.com.
Makes me want to send them the data for a class 3 cert.)

Lucky Green wrote:

| >     "VeriSign on Monday said it received permission from
| >       the U.S. Department of Commerce to export 128-bit
| >       strong encryption software and issue digital
| >       identifications to approved organizations based on
| >       that software. "
|
| It tells us that the US government has found yet another sucker to support
| their failed policy of bait and switch. VeriSign, just as AT&T and National
| Semiconductor have discovered in the past, will discover soon that the
| revenue generated by "playing ball" isn't nearly as large as promised. [How
| many Clipper phones and Fortezza iPower cards were sold? Total?] In fact,
| it the revenue may well prove to be in the negative digits.

| time by VeriSign upon the USG's request. Such revocation or refusal to
| issue a new cert after the first year of operation will leave the webserver
| operator with a server that is no longer able to encrypt communications to
| their customers in any meaningful way, thereby effectively shutting down
| Internet based operations of the company unfortunate enough to invest in
| such a flawed solution.

	I'll save Sameer the trouble, and suggest that people buy
Stronghold.

Adam

--
He has erected a multitude of new offices, and sent hither swarms of
officers to harrass our people, and eat out their substance.

Thread