1997-07-18 - Re: Keepers of the keys

Header Data

From: Lizard <lizard@dnai.com>
To: Declan McCullagh <cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 5a73278eb921d403d6d80e1917a3e1dd1040924b7e1658404f53a8493968be3b
Message ID: <3.0.1.32.19970718133642.00b6ee70@dnai.com>
Reply To: <Pine.GSO.3.95.970718124449.26795G-100000@well.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-07-18 21:21:31 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 19 Jul 1997 05:21:31 +0800

Raw message

From: Lizard <lizard@dnai.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 1997 05:21:31 +0800
To: Declan McCullagh <cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Keepers of the keys

At 12:45 PM 7/18/97 -0700, Declan McCullagh wrote, quoting Joe Shea, for
those of you who can't follow attributions very well:

>	Declan, what would you think if the actual keepers of the keys,
>so to speak, were the courts, such as the Administratoive Office of the
>US Courts?  That would at least seem to reduce a lot of the possible
>privacy concerns.  One has the sense that once they get into the hands of
>the varius agencies, they'll get back out.
>
>Best,
>
>Joe Shea
>Editor-in-Chief
>The American Reporter
>joeshea@netcom.com
>http://www.newshare.com:9999

Judges are human, too. "Agencies don't break the law -- people do". The
next Ames could be a judge on any Federal court. Frankly, I find it mildly
amusing no one has asked the Congressional defenders of key escrow, point
blank, "What safeguards do you have against keys falling into the hands of
the next Ames?" Who watches the watchmen?

Thread