1997-07-13 - Re: Microsoft and Netscape to Provide McCain with Options?

Header Data

From: Tom Weinstein <tomw@netscape.com>
To: Alan <alano@teleport.com>
Message Hash: 5d92b3c43e84cbc52f81b8f461657ced8633946ba3ccbb5d8ad1676197a7dc3c
Message ID: <33C82C1A.B3E5FD14@netscape.com>
Reply To: <Pine.GSO.3.96.970711182355.24515C-100000@linda.teleport.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-07-13 01:20:32 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 13 Jul 1997 09:20:32 +0800

Raw message

From: Tom Weinstein <tomw@netscape.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 1997 09:20:32 +0800
To: Alan <alano@teleport.com>
Subject: Re: Microsoft and Netscape to Provide McCain with Options?

Alan wrote:

> On Fri, 11 Jul 1997, Tim May wrote:
>
>> At 5:26 PM -0700 7/11/97, Alan Olsen wrote:
>
>>> McCain said he met with Microsoft representatives recently to
>>> discuss a new technology being developed by the software giant that
>>> could be less intrusive and problematic than key recovery. The
>>> senator also said he plans to meet with Netscape officials next week
>>> to discuss yet another alternative.
>>
>> This is something we should watch _very_ closely!
>
> I agree.  The article seemed to imply that both Microsoft and Netscape
> were falling all over each other trying to come up with gak-like
> alternatives to key recovery.  I wonder what Tom Weinstien can tell us
> about that...  (He has been a bit quiet lately...  Too quiet.)

When I'm quiet, it's probably because I'm busy.  It's certainly not
because I was spirited off to Fort Meade by the black helicopters for
brain washing.

Let's look at this another way.  Given the opportunity to discuss your
views with a senator, whouldn't you take it?  Even if there's very
little chance of changing his mind?

We aren't going to suddenly do an about face and start saying that GAK
is good.  Even if anyone here believed that, there's no way that we'd be
able to sell it to our overseas customers.

--
What is appropriate for the master is not appropriate| Tom Weinstein
for the novice.  You must understand Tao before      | tomw@netscape.com

Thread