1997-07-05 - Re: e$: $MTP? (fwd)

Header Data

From: Paul Bradley <paul@fatmans.demon.co.uk>
To: Ryan Anderson <randerso@ece.eng.wayne.edu>
Message Hash: 61682fe99d718e073fc67ab79a570818e59c09cc190c7f7fa6e7a23303c6f0e3
Message ID: <Pine.LNX.3.91.970705114146.2618B-100000@fatmans.demon.co.uk>
Reply To: <Pine.GSO.3.95.970704154536.1436B-100000@ece>
UTC Datetime: 1997-07-05 12:11:30 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 5 Jul 1997 20:11:30 +0800

Raw message

From: Paul Bradley <paul@fatmans.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 5 Jul 1997 20:11:30 +0800
To: Ryan Anderson <randerso@ece.eng.wayne.edu>
Subject: Re: e$: $MTP? (fwd)

> > Frankly, I see no other solution to this problem in the long run except for
> > postage, which means it's probably time to start figuring out, in earnest,
> > how to make it all work. Whoever becomes the lowest cost producer of this
> > kind of software stands to make a whole *bunch* of money.
>
> We still need to work out how to fit mailing lists fit into this without
> eliminating them entirely. Chargebacks to the subscribers?  If this list
> will work in a proposed plan, I think all the others probably would as
> well.. :-)

I personally see hashcash as the ideal way to solve this problem, and in
Adam Back`s analysis of the hashcash solution he mentions mailing lists
and suggest that filtering software have an explicit "filter in" command,
so you could eliminate any mail coming from the list from needing to have
cash attached. Of course the spammers could then just spam mailing lists,
but that it a much smaller problem than the current random UCE problem.

        Datacomms Technologies data security
       Paul Bradley, Paul@fatmans.demon.co.uk
  Paul@crypto.uk.eu.org, Paul@cryptography.uk.eu.org
       Http://www.cryptography.home.ml.org/