1997-07-25 - Re: CCTV Cameras in Britain

Header Data

From: Steve Schear <azur@netcom.com>
To: snow <kent@songbird.com>
Message Hash: 67c88f0f1bc3fd455eb142ca11f12770d6854e598409097fe05fcc649c4f0aff
Message ID: <v03102801affded6b5866@[10.0.2.15]>
Reply To: <19970715183341.01502@bywater.songbird.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-07-25 17:34:21 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 26 Jul 1997 01:34:21 +0800

Raw message

From: Steve Schear <azur@netcom.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 1997 01:34:21 +0800
To: snow <kent@songbird.com>
Subject: Re: CCTV Cameras in Britain

>>>Rick Morbey <rmorbey@morbey.com>, wrote:
>>Steve Schear <azur@netcom.com>, wrote:
>David.K.Leucht.1@gsfc.nasa.gov, wrote:
>>>Privacy International says that in Britain, there are an estimated
300,000 CCTV surveillance cameras in public areas, housing estates, car
parks, public facilities, phone booths, vending machines, buses,
trains, taxis, alongside motorways and inside Automatic Teller (ATM)
Machines. Originally installed to deter burglary, assault and car
theft, in practice most camera systems have been used to combat
'anti-social behavior'. including many such minor offenses as
littering, urinating in public, traffic violations, obstruction,
drunkenness, and evading meters in town parking lots. They have also
been widely used to intervene in other 'undesirable' behavior such as
underage smoking and a variety of public order transgressions. Other
innovative uses are constantly being discovered.

>>>These 'military-style' cameras are often installed in high-rent
commercial areas. Crime statistics rarely reflect that crime may merely
be pushed from these high value commercial areas into low rent
residential areas. Richard Thomas, Acting Deputy Chief Constable for
Gwent, in his interview with 20/20, said "Certainly the crime goes
somewhere. I don't believe that just because you've got cameras in a
city center that everyone says 'Oh well, we're going to give up crime
and get a job".

>>>In one survey commissioned by the UK Home Office a large proportion of
respondents expressed concern about several key aspects of visual
surveillance, says Privacy International. More than fifty per cent of
people felt neither government nor private security firms should be
allowed to make decisions to allow the installation of CCTV in public
places. Seventy-two per cent agreed "these cameras could easily be
abused and used by the wrong people". Thirty-nine per cent felt that>people
who are in control of these systems could not be "completely
trusted to use them only for the public good". Thirty-seven per cent
felt that "in the future, cameras will be used by the government to
control people". They already have. British CCTV surveillance systems
were used by the Chinese government at Tienamen Square to suppress the
student Democracy movement.

>>>The fact is that FastGate and CCTV surveillance systems represent the
tip of the technological iceberg. It is already far too late to prevent
the invasion of surveillance and database systems which are getting
faster, smarter, and cheaper every year. Innovation and miniaturization
have created systems which can take pictures through the walls of your
building and record every sound you make with satellites and blast the
information to the other side of the world in a millisecond.  Computers
may already hold the financial, educational, medical and DNA records of
each and every one of us. If not, they soon will. Strangers may already
be collecting information on our whereabouts and cruising through our
most personal information with impunity. We may have already created a
world in which nothing is private.

>>>Do we try to protect Democratic freedoms by legislating safeguards
against the abuse of private data? Must we accept that the mightiest
individuals and institutions cannot be held accountable, and there is
no use in trying? Or do we simply acquiesce, and accept that privacy is
an outdated concept when cheap technology makes everyone vulnerable,
wolves and lambs alike? The choices are not easy, but in the words of
David Brin, "asking questions can be a good first step".

>>One of the possible instruments needed to thwart such surveillence is the
>>adoption of 'masks' which are socially acceptable for public use. Ideally
>>they should all look alike, sort of something out of The Prisoner. Once a
>>certain threshold of adoption has been passed the only option for law
>>enforcement will be to remove the offending devices or declare maks
>>illegal for public use (a real stretch for civil liberties).

>I was living in Malaysia at the end of the 70's. I was told by locals,
>that people were prohibited, by law, from wearing motorcycle helmets (or
>similar headgear) which had tinted facemasks. The rational was that a
>significant number of bank robbers had worn the helmets to obscure their
>faces from cameras and eye-witnesses at the time of their robberies.

It is true that many countries and many US states (e.g., California)
prohibit certain forms of dress.  The logic seems to be that the state has
a more significant interest in public safety than citizens do in their
apparel.  It is noteworthy that, in the US, the wearing of masks is
tolerated during Halloween.  Also, Moslem woman aren't forced to disrobe or
uncover their heads.  I'm confident that if a new-age religeous sect took
to wearing masks it would be difficult for law enforcement, at least in the
US, to overcome.

--Steve

Thread