1997-07-15 - Re: hand-held computers Re: Electronic commerce has long way to go

Header Data

From: Lucky Green <shamrock@netcom.com>
To: Eric Murray <bryce@digicash.com
Message Hash: 6e4b24754fbffc7a81a80266a6ce3b4d8ea469c7dfa5b04b7e8778e12b972983
Message ID: <3.0.2.32.19970715100822.006fba74@netcom10.netcom.com>
Reply To: <199707151053.MAA17126@digicash.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-07-15 17:20:25 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 16 Jul 1997 01:20:25 +0800

Raw message

From: Lucky Green <shamrock@netcom.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 1997 01:20:25 +0800
To: Eric Murray <bryce@digicash.com
Subject: Re: hand-held computers Re: Electronic commerce has long way to go

At 09:07 AM 7/15/97 -0700, Eric Murray wrote:
>> What _are_ the cool things Ian Goldberg can do with a Pilot,
>> anyway?
>
>SSL, telnet, ssh, xcopilot, a POP mail client and some more stuff.
>http://www.isaac.cs.berkeley.edu/pilot/

Even better, the Pilot is about the same size as the new Ricochet wireless
modem. Keeping the modem in your pocket and the Pilot in your hand, you can
run Emacs over SSH from anywhere in the Bay Area.

For the GUI addicts, Ian's team just wrote a browser for the Pilot. In all
fairness, the browser for the Pilot does not interpret the HTML, but relies
on a proxy on the network to do much of the work.

But here is a device that is smaller and lighter than my wallet. A device
that gives me Emacs, a graphical web browser, and a contact manager and
scheduler that syncs with my scheduler at work. All wireless from anywhere
in the area. Did I mention that it has an Indiglo screen?

I'm sold,

--Lucky Green <shamrock@netcom.com>
  PGP encrypted mail preferred.
  DES is dead! Please join in breaking RC5-56.
  http://rc5.distributed.net/

Thread