1997-07-10 - Re: Recreational pharmaceuticals by genetic engineering

Header Data

From: Alan <alano@teleport.com>
To: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
Message Hash: 7128bdb4cd4e1d8dc97d169fb7b13fbdb679288eb519649d5f691160b751b988
Message ID: <Pine.GSO.3.96.970710112758.21118Q-100000@linda.teleport.com>
Reply To: <v03102800afead774beaf@[207.167.93.63]>
UTC Datetime: 1997-07-10 18:49:44 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 11 Jul 1997 02:49:44 +0800

Raw message

From: Alan <alano@teleport.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 1997 02:49:44 +0800
To: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
Subject: Re: Recreational pharmaceuticals by genetic engineering

On Thu, 10 Jul 1997, Tim May wrote:

> Speaking of which, I recall that the origins of LSD were from some kind of
> fungus or "rust" found on some types of grain.

It was developed from "ergot", a fungus that grows on rye.

> And there's that other type of fungus, the mushroom.
>
> I expect Steve is right that someone will find a way to engineer a
> drug-producing common mold or yeast. The profit motive, per se, will not be
> much of an impediment, provided the costs of development are not huge. I
> can think of many who would participate, were any reasonable directions
> apparent.

Mushrooms are hard to grow unless you have a controlled environment.
(They tend to cross with other species of mushroom from what I have been
told.  A friend used to grow mushrooms commercially many years back.)

> BTW, this was a topic of conversation several years ago in the nanotech
> discussion group I was in: home chemistry with instructions dowloaded from
> the Net. Sort of a "Click here to download manufacturing instructions for
> LSD."
>
> (Downloaded into a tabletop production machine, of course.)

The instructions for LSD production are already on the net, but not in a
nanotech format.  (HTML v66.6?)

Most of the instructions for LSD are bogus.  A friend sent me a huge
collection of bogus recipes from sci.chemistry from a few years back.
(They get losts of newbies who want to learn how to make LSD.)  My
favorite is the one that uses Foster's Lauger as a base.

> We are probably still several decades away from the mechanosynthesis form
> of nanotech, presumably less far away from biological forms.

I expect that we will see bioengeneered designer drugs within the next 10
years.  The methods for manufacture will not be widely distributed for a
much longer period...

> Such "dangerous knowledge" will join bombmaking instructions in being added
> to Fineswine's law. Downloading of instructuctions for NC machine tools,
> too, if the instructions are for zip guns and even real guns.

When she figures out that such information is available, she will add it
on.  And it will not stop there...  The forces of sanitized thinking will
not stop until anything that could be a threat to them is illegal and/or
abolished.

Sometimes I think the Chinese had the right idea by making it impossible
for their civil servants to reproduce.

alano@teleport.com | "Those who are without history are doomed to retype it."

Thread