1997-07-31 - Re: Entrust Technologies’s Solo - free download

Header Data

From: Ray Arachelian <sunder@brainlink.com>
To: “Dr. Jai Maharaj” <jai@mantra.com>
Message Hash: 78ae33bfb04012ad527d373fa9b6ca51f6b02638ee2605394db3b170d1f3b3f4
Message ID: <Pine.SUN.3.96.970731155440.14495L-100000@beast.brainlink.com>
Reply To: <3.0.2.32.19970731090708.00968100@caprica.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-07-31 20:15:29 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 1 Aug 1997 04:15:29 +0800

Raw message

From: Ray Arachelian <sunder@brainlink.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 1997 04:15:29 +0800
To: "Dr. Jai Maharaj" <jai@mantra.com>
Subject: Re: Entrust Technologies's Solo - free download

On Thu, 31 Jul 1997, Dr. Jai Maharaj wrote:

> That is unacceptable since the users would have already
> paid for the account by that time and signed a contract.

Bullshit.  I've had accounts on escape, dorsai, and now brainlink.
Neither forced me to prepay or sign any contract. I've seen plenty of
offers from NetCom and other providers for a free month of access.  Even
AOL gives free demo hours.

Any ISP that forces you to pre-pay for access or sign a contract isn't a
decent ISP by definition, and therefore any censoring they do is also
unimportant since they already by definition suck.

There's enough competition between mom & pop ISP's out there that it
doesn't pay for them to censor or piss off their users.  The users can
simply tar their files and leave.  i.e.  Escape.com - when I was
subscribed to it had a broken trn, and after two-three months of asking
them to recompile it, I canceled my account and went elsewhere. (They had
tin, but I prefer trn.)

There are also free and not so free news servers that one can point to,
DejaNews and other archive sources.  If your ISP precensors your feed, you
can get other feeds.

This is a silly arguement when the clients themselves can simply say no to
sucky censoring ISP's.

For example with my own accounts I refuse to subscribe to any ISP that
won't let me have a shell account.  PPP is nice and fine, but I want to be
able to run stuff from a shell. :)  (I wonder if the next volley of
censorship messages will say "Oh, that must mean you censor the ISP's
because you won't subscribe to ones that don't offer shell - to which I'll
answer fuck yes!)

.+.^.+.|  Ray Arachelian    |Prying open my 3rd eye.  So good to see |./|\.
..\|/..|sunder@sundernet.com|you once again. I thought you were      |/\|/\
<--*-->| ------------------ |hiding, and you thought that I had run  |\/|\/
../|\..| "A toast to Odin,  |away chasing the tail of dogma. I opened|.\|/.
.+.v.+.|God of screwdrivers"|my eye and there we were....            |.....

Thread