1997-07-08 - Re: Jim Bell 6

Header Data

From: nobody@REPLAY.COM (Anonymous)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 8956e5737bc184310d9cb39766cb1c31d7bdcc6792bb270b94038d2701592b2a
Message ID: <199707081534.RAA14401@basement.replay.com>
Raw Date: Tue, 8 Jul 1997 23:56:13 +0800

Raw message

From: nobody@REPLAY.COM (Anonymous)
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 1997 23:56:13 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Jim Bell 6

John Young wrote:

> On June 26 the court handling Jim's case extended
> the time from June 30 to July 11 for the USA to file an
> indictment.
> No indication that Jim has been released, jailed since
> his arrest on May 16. No reason given for repeated
> waiver of right to a speedy trial.

  The right to a speedy trial is next to meaningless in a court system
which is composed mostly of legal bum-buddies whose main concern is to
make as much money as possible without making each other look like
incompetent fools.
  The fact of the matter is, there is seldom any reason for a person
to sit in jail without bond for extended periods other than the fact
that his or her attorney is not capable of trying a case in a reasonable
amount of time.
  Jim Bell is likely suffering from the delusion that his attorney is
working in his client's best interest. If not, he would demand that
the judge appoint an attorney to defend him who is both capable of and
competent enough to represent him in a timely fashion.

  I mean, get real...Bell is imprisoned without bail with no charges
having been filed against him.
  Has anybody seen a lawyer-ad on TV lately where the attorney is
screaming, "CALL ME AND YOU'LL ROT IN JAIL WITHOUT EVER BEING CHARGED
WITH A CRIME! CALL 1-800-DIP-SHIT!"

  The bottom line: The fact that a public defender is too busy, or
doesn't have the resources, to represent his client in a timely
fashion does not justify abrogation of a citizen's rights.
  The fact that Bell's lawyer is allowing his client to sit in prison
without bail and without an indictment against him, without doing
anything about it, suggests to me that he is selling out his client
in order to enhance his future career as a RatFucker.

TruthMonger

 > The docket's at:
>
>    http://jya.com/jimbell-dock.htm

Thread