1997-07-26 - Re: An Attempt to Hobble SAFE Crypto Bill

Header Data

From: “Charles” <apache@gargoyle.apana.org.au>
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Message Hash: 93d3953c5b21cbdf9520a2f3be158dc38cb68f7c9d1a3d6fe9de92a926965fda
Message ID: <199707260407.OAA08620@gargoyle.apana.org.au>
Reply To: <Pine.GSO.3.95.970725111252.22013N-100000@well.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-07-26 04:19:00 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 26 Jul 1997 12:19:00 +0800

Raw message

From: "Charles" <apache@gargoyle.apana.org.au>
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 1997 12:19:00 +0800
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Subject: Re: An Attempt to Hobble SAFE Crypto Bill

Welcome to the USA...please check your keys at the door.

(Or you will be violated)

>  This means that if law-enforcement officials could not
>  crack an encrypted file within 24 hours - the time that FBI
>  director Louis Freeh and other law enforcement officials
>  say is reasonable for accessing information related to a
>  crime - that strength of encryption would be illegal. The
>  amendment set a civil penalty of US$100,000 for such
>  violations.

Defence counsel: Your honour the FBI agent could have cracked my
clients grocery list within 24 hours if he hadn't taken a long lunch
break at Hooters Topless Bar & Grill and not overlooked that he was
running his NifTY War3Z crAk3R v0.3 against the wrong file.

Prosecutor: Could not

Defence: Could so

Prosecutor: Irrelevant your auspiciousness, the fact is the grocery
list was not decrypted in 24 hours.

Judge: I sentence the defendant to $100 000 penalty or in default 15
years at a federal re-education facility.

Defence: But your worthiness it was only a $35 grocery list!

Judge: Anyone seen my gavel?
--
   .////.   .//    Charles Senescall             apache@quux.apana.org.au
 o:::::::::///     apache@bear.apana.org.au  apache@gargoyle.apana.org.au
>::::::::::\\\     Finger me for PGP PUBKEY            Brisbane AUSTRALIA
   '\\\\\'   \\    Apache

Thread