1997-07-17 - Re: The Big Sellout

Header Data

From: Doug Peterson <fnorky@geocities.com>
To: Brian Lane <nexus@eskimo.com>
Message Hash: a0b15852e2ec0070113fd15e0d2572a8d70a0570e00857da434809fceef9f0f6
Message ID: <33CE70C5.7B5A@geocities.com>
Reply To: <Pine.GSO.3.95.970715233716.9149D-100000@well.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-07-17 19:55:18 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 18 Jul 1997 03:55:18 +0800

Raw message

From: Doug Peterson <fnorky@geocities.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 1997 03:55:18 +0800
To: Brian Lane <nexus@eskimo.com>
Subject: Re: The Big Sellout

Brian Lane wrote:

> Declan McCullagh wrote:
> >
> > I spoke to Netscape earlier today. The company previously had announced it
> > would support PICS in a future version of Navigator. Now it's pledging to
> > support PICS in the *next* version.
> >
> > -Declan
>
>   I don't care if Netscape supports PICS or not, as long as I still have the
> freedom to turn that option off (and that it is preferrably not enabled by
> default, or indicates in an OBVIOUS way that it is active).
Even better, lets support web browsers that do not support PICS or any
other
rateing system.

>   This whole thing is a load of shit though. The government is professing
> to have control over thousands of private computers and networks. No one
> has to put their kids on the net (IMHO the damn thing is a large waste of
> time, they should be reading books or building things instead), so it must
> be the parents decision to give them access -- It is therefore the parents
> responsibility to monitor their kids activities, not the governments and not
> everyone elses.
Agreed.  I would extend that to say that it is the parents responsiblity
teach their kids to be able to handle the unknown in a responsible way.

-Doug

Thread