1997-07-29 - Re: Thomases (Re: Yet another self-labeling system (do you remember -

Header Data

From: dlv@bwalk.dm.com (Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: b73938cd78ae7dd434d620d166d078b95834cb10223b94fa32b0a9b6f2bf2935
Message ID: <scskae5w165w@bwalk.dm.com>
Reply To: <199707281729.SAA00614@server.test.net>
UTC Datetime: 1997-07-29 01:11:02 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 29 Jul 1997 09:11:02 +0800

Raw message

From: dlv@bwalk.dm.com (Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM)
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 1997 09:11:02 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Thomases (Re: Yet another self-labeling system (do you remember -

Adam Back <aba@dcs.ex.ac.uk> writes:

> James Love <love@cptech.org> writes:
> > Tim May <tcmay@got.net> writes:
> > > Such as the multiple years in prison that each of the Thomases got?
> >
> >      I don't know the Thomases, but did they get "multiple years in
> > prison" for mislabeling?  Or for something else?
>
> The Thomases ran an adult BBS and video business in California.  The
> fedz busted them by the following moves:
>
> 1. Fed stooge posts Thomases some kiddie porn video tapes
> 2. Fedz kick down the door 30 seconds later before Thomases even knew
>    they'd received any mail
> 3. Fedz tried Thomases in some other state with strong puritanical
>    tendencies
> 4. Fedz locked up Thomases and threw away the key.

it's important to note that the Thomases were acquited on most charges,
including all child porn charges, but were convicted on "minor" obscenity
charges.

The same the Waco survivors were acquitted of almost everything but the
"minor" weapond possession and locked up for many, many years based on that.

Apparently the juries felt that if the fedz had gone to the trouble of
putting together a case, they're obliged to convict of something "minor".

---

Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM