1997-07-16 - Re: The Real Plan: Making the Net Safe for Censorship

Header Data

From: Eric Murray <ericm@lne.com>
To: fight-censorship@vorlon.mit.edu
Message Hash: c9c83b9d5a5d576476fe46f987d108119219e3754df48ac2c3757a0c7e6025df
Message ID: <199707162332.QAA24337@slack.lne.com>
Reply To: <Pine.GSO.3.95.970716144140.4823C-100000@well.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-07-16 23:51:12 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 17 Jul 1997 07:51:12 +0800

Raw message

From: Eric Murray <ericm@lne.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 1997 07:51:12 +0800
To: fight-censorship@vorlon.mit.edu
Subject: Re: The Real Plan: Making the Net Safe for Censorship

Declan McCullagh writes:

> [...]

That should be Making the Net Safe for SafeSurf.

The proposal is a classic example of "if you can't beat 'em in
the marketplace, beat 'em in the legislature".  It would require
a rating system while locking out new competition from the net
censorshipratings field.   SafeSurf operates
a ratings system.  Can you say "conflict of interest"?

Note provision 3, which stipuates that a rating must be "issued by a
ratings service that has a minimum of 5,000 documented individuals usin
its system to mark their data."

That'd kind of make it hard to start a competing ratings system, wouldn't it?

> Here is an example of a proposal being presented
> at the White House today.
>
> The minds boggles at the number of unconstitutional
> provisions contained in such a brief text.
>
> Never has a freedom won in a Supreme Court decision
> been given up so quickly.

Just like the lumber barons who destroyed vast forests for
their own profit, too many modern business people are willing
to sell out our freedoms in return for profit for themselves.

--
Eric Murray  ericm@lne.com  Security and cryptography applications consulting.
PGP keyid:E03F65E5 fingerprint:50 B0 A2 4C 7D 86 FC 03  92 E8 AC E6 7E 27 29 AF

Thread