1997-07-01 - Free markets and crypto

Header Data

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
To: cypherpunks@Algebra.COM
Message Hash: ce147290ea7c234a7cee327323bfeb2b9808475c017901ce3a606dd4675387e7
Message ID: <v03102800afded16f21ee@[207.167.93.63]>
Reply To: <3.0.32.19691231160000.006d0374@best.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-07-01 15:35:49 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 1 Jul 1997 23:35:49 +0800

Raw message

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 1997 23:35:49 +0800
To: cypherpunks@Algebra.COM
Subject: Free markets and crypto

At 7:58 PM -0700 6/30/97, Declan McCullagh wrote:
>Ah, but what is a market except voluntary transactions between people?
>What is good for the market is good for the people.

I certainly agree with this, if the proper interpretations of terms are made.

Unfortunately, there is a growing distinction being made between "voluntary
transactions" of _people_ and of _corporations_.

(The most stunning example of this, as Declan of course knows, being the
"Title 7" stuff in the Civil Rights Act, which takes away a person's right
to associtate with persons with whom he wishes to associate--he can't
choose to hire only Chinese, or no cripples, or only Mormons, and so on.)

And in the crypto debate, the term "market" has mostly been interpreted by
people to mean: Netscape, Microsoft, PGP, RSADSI, C2net, Verisign, etc.

I don't believe corporations have any more rights--or any more
restrictions--than individuals do. So in this sense I agree with Declan's
point. But my view is in a minority.

Thus, care is warranted when discussing "market solutions."

--Tim May