1997-07-18 - Re: Microsoft will NOT ship browser with RSACi on by default

Header Data

From: Paul Bradley <paul@fatmans.demon.co.uk>
To: “Peter D. Junger” <junger@upaya.multiverse.com>
Message Hash: d930c55aae30d2a85db3880924904b14376e769293462ed1678e5e8864e8b7a3
Message ID: <Pine.LNX.3.91.970717125226.2372A-100000@fatmans.demon.co.uk>
Reply To: <199707170915.FAA01650@upaya.multiverse.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-07-18 14:33:15 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 18 Jul 1997 22:33:15 +0800

Raw message

From: Paul Bradley <paul@fatmans.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 1997 22:33:15 +0800
To: "Peter D. Junger" <junger@upaya.multiverse.com>
Subject: Re: Microsoft will NOT ship browser with RSACi on by default

> : BTW, we should differentiate generally between state action and private
> : action. Getting fucked by Microsoft != getting fucked by the government.
> : This is Libertarianism 101. Of course, I admit today the distinction was
> : blurry.
>
> Corporations are just parts of the government that got away.  I have
> never understood why some, though far from all, libertarians bother
> to distinguish them from the other organs of the state.

If I read this the right way I would suppose that you are saying that a
corporate agreement to include rating systems in all browsers would be on
a par with mandated inclusion pushed through by the government. Not so:
The government uses force and violence to make individuals and companies
do it`s bidding, if the government did not enforce laws they wouldn`t be
wrong, because there would be no act of agression. Assuming a large
company such as M$ were to decide any company not including rating
systems in their browsers could be fined by M$, then that would be a
similar situation to the one currently experienced with the government.

        Datacomms Technologies data security
       Paul Bradley, Paul@fatmans.demon.co.uk
  Paul@crypto.uk.eu.org, Paul@cryptography.uk.eu.org
       Http://www.cryptography.home.ml.org/