1997-07-25 - Re: Data Fellows announces F-Secure SSH Tunnel&Terminal

Header Data

From: ghio@temp0103.myriad.ml.org (Matthew Ghio)
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Message Hash: e722568ae2c44936ccea4fa85352113c32d1ce9540478f4d23f8a62f3c7cbad0
Message ID: <199707252040.NAA02700@myriad.alias.net>
Reply To: <3.0.32.19970725011140.008fac60@popd.ix.netcom.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-07-25 20:59:21 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 26 Jul 1997 04:59:21 +0800

Raw message

From: ghio@temp0103.myriad.ml.org (Matthew Ghio)
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 1997 04:59:21 +0800
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Subject: Re: Data Fellows announces F-Secure SSH Tunnel&Terminal

Mike <Michael.Johnson@mejl.com> wrote:

> It would be neat if SSH Tunnel was compatible with PPTP, but I guess
> it's not.

Well, I don't know why you'd want to use PPTP anyway.  A friend of mine
tried connecting a Win95 PPTP client to my Linux box with a pppd running
on port 1723.  Windows bluescreened immediately and had to be rebooted.
Makes me wonder what one could do to an NT server which happened to leave
port 1723 open...

BTW, you don't need the new ssh to tunnel ppp, you can do it with the
standard ssh.  I've been doing it for over a year now, originally with
the old public-domain ssh version.

If you don't need encryption, you should use RFC1853 tunneling instead.
The overhead is much less than that of PPTP or ssh, so it will be faster.
It's included in Linux 2.0, tho not compiled in by default.

Thread