1997-08-23 - Re: Welfare Solution #389

Header Data

From: Bill Frantz <frantz@netcom.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 015b8d1344adedbe497da6ce443225f3fd75fe81b5b6080add87daf5dd41c4de
Message ID: <v0300780fb023f9501a43@[207.94.249.75]>
Reply To: <3.0.3.32.19970822025549.006f3d6c@pop.mhv.net>
UTC Datetime: 1997-08-23 03:26:14 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 23 Aug 1997 11:26:14 +0800

Raw message

From: Bill Frantz <frantz@netcom.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 1997 11:26:14 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Welfare Solution #389

At 7:47 AM -0700 8/22/97, Alex Le Heux wrote:
>I Switserland they've gone even further now, and started supplying hardcore
>herion addicts with free heroin. The results were quite dramatic. Most of the
>addicts gave up stealing/etc and some even managed to get and hold a normal
>job. As it turned out, supplying them with free heroin was much cheaper than
>having them hang around and steal/rob/etc. It also served to reduce the call
>for extra police, and the call by the police for more rights/weapons/etc.

The Swiss friends we visited earlier this week agree that this policy has
had positive effects.  We passed a park in Zurich that had formally been
used by heroin addicts as a "shooting gallery", and was now being used by
ordinary citizens including families with small children.  They mentioned
the change in the park as one of the benefits of the new policy.

Bill Frantz       | The Internet was designed  | Periwinkle -- Consulting
(408)356-8506     | to protect the free world  | 16345 Englewood Ave.
frantz@netcom.com | from hostile governments.  | Los Gatos, CA 95032, USA

Thread