1997-08-13 - I am not a cracker

Header Data

From: Zooko Journeyman <zooko@xs4all.nl>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 177c6d0af52debc88048917f6f004430f7d7585933a90ff9ad74cef1dc2df32a
Message ID: <199708131004.MAA18514@xs1.xs4all.nl>
Raw Date: Wed, 13 Aug 1997 18:14:06 +0800

Raw message

From: Zooko Journeyman <zooko@xs4all.nl>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 1997 18:14:06 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: I am not a cracker

Several journalists have approached me at HIP and afterwards
for quotes about cracking.  It is interesting that merely by
showing up at HIP and by having a suspiciously pseudonym-like
name (hey, my parents were inspired by New Age psychology or
something, okay?) I have apparently gained the instant
reputation of being into cracking.

So in case any journalists out there were considering asking me
how to crack Tamagotchis (I kid you not-- that was the topic):

I work in computer security.  I devise systems.  I write code.
I examine systems for weaknesses.  I test systems.  But I don't
crack.  The last time I wrote a Trojan log-in screen was in 9th
grade.  When I made a phone call at HIP I used my pre-paid
phone card instead of using the cracked phone booth for free.
I pay for most of my software, other than Microsoft operating
systems.

So look elsewhere for your cracker quotes.

Sincerely,

Zooko, Journeyman Hacker

Thread