1997-08-14 - Child Porn and Eternity (Re: “Leotards and the Law…

Header Data

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 1f269bb18ef3e183105440189526322b3ffbabc2b727a4b2c0702e23cd18fb3c
Message ID: <v03102803b01817a18ed8@[207.167.93.63]>
Reply To: <Pine.GSO.3.95.970813080755.18129D-100000@well.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-08-14 02:29:00 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 14 Aug 1997 10:29:00 +0800

Raw message

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 1997 10:29:00 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Child Porn and Eternity  (Re: "Leotards and the Law...

At 8:08 AM -0700 8/13/97, Declan McCullagh wrote:

>        But Conti skirted the more controversial question: What if
>   someone did use Photoshop to synthesize images of half-naked children?

Let me assure you that such images are available. I might be tempted to say
I know exactly where to find them, and may have even taken a look at them
("as part of my campaign to determine the extend of child porn" :-} ), but
in this climate that might get me a couple of SWAT vans roaring up my
hillside...and then I'd have to make some quick decisions about shooting or
going peacably.

Duncan F. can of course opine that the law is powerless, blah blah, but it
doesn't appear that way to me.

Such images (including non-morphed images of real nude children, or even of
children engaging in sex, and so on) are, by the way, good candidates for
Eternity servers. If the Eternity operators freak out and ban such images,
so much for "Eternity." Perhaps they could then be named "Ephemeral"
servers.

--Tim May