1997-08-10 - Re: some hashcash advocacy

Header Data

From: Kent Crispin <kent@songbird.com>
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Message Hash: 3473012f915ff980d23a91a76a3db4df128fab17761babfb4e1bb7c68bfb4866
Message ID: <19970809223727.64534@bywater.songbird.com>
Reply To: <19970808165350.55775@bywater.songbird.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-08-10 05:49:42 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 10 Aug 1997 13:49:42 +0800

Raw message

From: Kent Crispin <kent@songbird.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 1997 13:49:42 +0800
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Subject: Re: some hashcash advocacy

On Sat, Aug 09, 1997 at 10:14:28AM +0100, Adam Back wrote:
[...]
> You missed one aspect of the design.  What the collision is calculated
> on is the recipients email address.  If the collision is on someone
> elses email address, you reject it out of hand.

Ah -- of course.

[...]

> [btw: Kent: I tried out your .midi file under win95, all I had to do
> was double click on it.  Almost melodic in an weird modern sort of
> way.  Most cool anyway :-]

Of course, I am prejudiced, but I seriously think it qualifies as
legitimate art.  I spent a fair amount of time tweaking things so it
would sound good to my ear.

Years ago I did a lot of experimentation with algorithmically
generated music -- it really grows on you.  In "the old days" of DOS I
had code that would drive a midi synth directly -- putting things to
midi files makes things static, and not quite as interesting -- I liked
having things that never sounded exactly the same thing twice.  But I
haven't had time to keep up with midi drivers in the Windows world.

But this experiment sends my mind twitching off in other aesthetic
directions -- your code was short enough so that it isn't boring --
if you had 20 minutes of "music" like that it would drive you nuts,
and I would like to try some longer things -- a couple hundred lines
of C code, for example.  To make that work I was thinking of putting
in a strong basic harmonic background, like a blues progression, and
using the code text to drive a solo voice over it.  Something like
the "Triple-DES blues"...

--
Kent Crispin				"No reason to get excited",
kent@songbird.com			the thief he kindly spoke...

Thread