1997-08-02 - Re: “Telco Terrorism” – Wired on Baby Bells v. the Net

Header Data

From: “Raymond Mereniuk” <Raymond.Mereniuk@mat.calvex.com>
To: cypherpunks@Algebra.COM
Message Hash: 34ade0515a5525cb15656ce549441bed0e68256107dec3ef797eec6746464d1f
Message ID: <199708020537.WAA05914@mat.calvex.com>
Reply To: <v03007815b006ac98fb64@[168.161.105.191]>
UTC Datetime: 1997-08-02 06:33:25 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 2 Aug 1997 14:33:25 +0800

Raw message

From: "Raymond Mereniuk" <Raymond.Mereniuk@mat.calvex.com>
Date: Sat, 2 Aug 1997 14:33:25 +0800
To: cypherpunks@Algebra.COM
Subject: Re: "Telco Terrorism" -- Wired on Baby Bells v. the Net

>If the Telcos move to raise rates, the internet will cease using the
>Telco system.  And then some telephone interface company will create
...deleted text...

The Telcos have always lived in a monopolistic environment, they
can't see the world in any other manner.  One can say many bad things
about these people.

Fortunately, there may be reason for them to change their ways in
regards to Internet access.  Canada is not the most competitive place
in the world and most Canadians just accept this and pay more money
then they should for goods and services with no questions to the
system which forces such things as `Canadian Content' down their
throats.  Bottom line is that business is not that competitive here.

I have been in the data communications business for a long time and
dealt with bad service and attitude from Canadian Telcos.  Recently
the local cable company (Rogers Cablesystems) started offering
Internet access through a cable modem for CAN$55/month (US$39.95).
This gives you the cable modem with some sort of asymmetrical data
transfer rates.  They don't tell you the actual up-stream and
down-stream data transfer rates but apparently you can get 6 - 10
times the download rates as possible through a 33.6Kbps modem.

This might at first glance appear a bit expensive but it is a
permanent connection.  They give you one IP address and up to five
Email addresses under the standard monthly fee (there is a bit-count
with charges if you go over the maximum but the limit is in GBs).
The cable modem rental is included.  They charge CAN$150 (US$109) for
installation and setup.  Included in this install fee is an Ethernet
card.  Compare this to ISDN or installing an additional telephone
line PLUS paying for ISP access.

If you are not careful everyone on your local cable segment can see
your sytem but what the hell don't you want to get to know your
neighbors better???  If you are technologically more than clue-less
you would install a Linux box as a firewall and give it the assigned
IP address.  Behind your firewall you could install...  whatever?!
If you have a network, well that can be connected also!??  They will
do the DNS work (probably at extra charge as this is the cable
company) and set you up as a sub-domain on their domain and you could
run a POP3 server to send/receive mail.

This sounds pretty good, I could go for this, and they even offer it
in my neighborhood.  But, I must move soon so I will do it in the
fall after the move.  Now the local Telco (BC Tel, owned by GTE) gets
a new chairman and the newspaper lets him blow his own horn and puts
the article on the front page of the local section of one of the
regional newspapers (Vancouver Sun).  In this ego flexing article the
CHAIRman states that their market and engineering
trials are almost over and that they will be offering ADSL for
Internet access in the fall and that they have a big surprise in
store for the local cable company as they can beat their Internet
access offering.  Since that article the local Telco has filed an
ADSL tariff offering with the federal regulatory body with a
requested response date of August 27th as they want to begin offering
this service in the market this fall.

Are we about to see an elephant tapdance???  If this elephant is
about to learn to tapdance maybe there is hope for the other Telcos
of North America.  If by chance I got into the wrong medication
please advise.
Virtually

Raymond@wcs.net
Raymond Mereniuk