1997-08-27 - PGPlib-0.3 is available

Header Data

From: Robert Hettinga <rah@shipwright.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 5d6b3b817f9790b548ad546e2459073a6f7fa3f1548dd7da7be67a4cd635ef36
Message ID: <v0311072bb029db53745d@[139.167.130.248]>
Raw Date: Wed, 27 Aug 1997 22:23:29 +0800

Raw message

From: Robert Hettinga <rah@shipwright.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 1997 22:23:29 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: PGPlib-0.3 is available

--- begin forwarded text

To: pgplib-announce@cryp.to
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 1997 11:10:03 +0200
From: Tage Stabell-Kulo <tage@ACM.org>
Sender: pgplib-announce-owner@cryp.to

This mail is sent on the list pgplib-announce@cryp.to.  It is a (very)
low voulme list where announcments are made when new versions of
PGPlib becomes available.  Please find below a copy of the file README
distributed with this new release.  Instructions on how to obtain your
own copy of PGPlib is included.

===

Welcome to version 0.3 of PGPlib.  This code has not yet matured
enough to reach version 1.0.  However, this is probably the latest
development version before 1.0.  Detailed instructions for how to
obtain this fine code can be found at the end.  Experienced users will
know that ftp://dslab1.cs.uit.no/pub/PGPlib.tar.gz is the place to
look.

What is here for you
=====================

PGPlib is a library that lets you generate (and manipulate) PGP
packets without having to run PGP.  In particular there is code to
generate and understand the following types of PGP packets:

   - Data can be signed with a private key;
   - Data can be encrypted with a public key;
   - Data encrypted with your public key can be decrypted;
   - You can verify signatures on public keys and on buffers (files);
   - Convential encrypted (IDEA with Zimmermann's context sensitive
     feedback).  The library can both read (decrypt) and write
     (encrypt) convential packets (in PGP format);
   - Armor.  You can (de)armor a buffer or a file into a buffer or a
     file;
   - UserID packets are read and written in a variety of formats;
   - Literal with filename, mode, etc.  You can create literate
     packages from files, or from buffers, and create files from
     literate packets;
   - Keys can be obtained from a database (which is provided) or by
     parsing keyrings.  Keys can be kept in buffers or on files;
   - You can maintain a PGP public-key database (I use this library to
     maintain a database with ~40.000 keys).  There is code to use DBM
     as supplied from Berkeley.  A copy of DBM is included for your
     convinience.

In general, PGPlib operates on buffers in order for you to use it in
your applications.

You will find included a small program that will (de)armor anything, a
parser to parse PGP files (including decryption and so on), a shell to
manipulate a keydatabase, a keyserver to run on top of such a
database, a program to verify signatures on keys and/or files, a
program to split keyrings in smaller parts and a program that will
sign files for you.  You will find all these (and more) in the
PGPlib/applications/ directory.  None of these uses PGP, the library
provides all the functionality you need.

What is not there for you
=========================

   - Sufficient documentation.

I have written this library because I need it.  In order to make life
less hard for my students, I will have to provide some documentation.
Possibly even on-line.  However, quite a few manual pages are
included.

What you need
=============

   - Unix (for some definition of "Unix").

   - You must have the SSLeay library as I have not implemented any
     cryptographic functionality; I hope SSLeay is a good choice. I
     did not major in mathematics and can thus not judge the quality
     of their work, although it looks solid (to me).  I link with their
     version 0.8.1.  I rely on SSLeay for many things, in particular
     their BIGNUMs, RSA encryption and IDEA.  You can obtain your copy
     of SSLeay from:
        * ftp://ftp.psy.uq.oz.au/pub/Crypto/SSL/ - SSLeay source
        * ftp://ftp.psy.uq.oz.au/pub/Crypto/SSLapps/ - SSL applications
        * http://www.psy.uq.oz.au/~ftp/Crypto/ssl.html - SSLeay Programmer
          Reference
     SSLeay is quite large and I only use a fraction of it.
     other hand, SSLeay seems to be well maintained and their
     crypto-library might very well shrink or become more modular as
     time passes.  Also, work is in progress to strip out from SSLeay
     only thise parts that PGPlib uses.

Porting
=======

PGPlib has been developed on NetBSD 1.2.  It should compile smoothly
on FreeBSD, HP-UX and Linux.  If you port PGPlib to some other
platform, I would be greatful if you would send me patches.  In
particular, PGPlib does not compile on SunOS 4 and 5, your assistance
would be valuable.

Regarding PGP
=============

 - Work is underway to ensure that PGPlib is compliant with RFC1991.

 - The name PGPlib might not be final as I respect Zimmermann's
   "ownership" of the acronym PGP and he might not like that this
   library uses the name PGPlib.  Thus, this library might become
   libRFC1991.a or something.

 - PGP-5.0 is available.  It has several new features, such as a
   multitude of encryption methods.  PGPlib might evolve to support
   them all.

Your Feedback
   SUBSCRIBE into the BODY. If you want to be subscribed under
   a different address than the one you're mailing from, you can also
   use SUBSCRIBE yourname@somewhere.else to do the trick.  To post to
   the list, send an e-mail to pgplib-dev@cryp.to as usual.

   There is also (very low volume) list pgplib-announce@cryp.to.
   Subscribe by sending an e-mail to pgplib-announce-request@cryp.to
   with SUBSCRIBE in the body.

   Both lists are archived at URL:http://www.cryp.to/

   If you write a nice application based on this library (the ultimate
   feedback :-), please feel free to send it to  me and I will include
   it in the next release;

Where to get PGPlib
===================

	ftp://dslab1.cs.uit.no/pub/PGPlib.tar.gz

This file is a link to the latest version.  If you obtain the file
PGPlib-0.3.tar.gz instead, note that a name conflict will occur when
you unpack the file (see below).

What to do
==========

First, uncompress PGPlib, which should give you the file PGPlib.tar.
When you unpack PGPlib.tar you will get three files in your CURRENT
directory.  These files are

	README             : This file
	PGPlib-0.3.tar     : The library
	PGPlib-0.3.tar.sig : My signature on the above.

Verify the signature by running
       pgp PGPlib-0.3.tar.sig
and verify that PGP prints Good signature from user "Tage Stabell-Kulo
<tage@cs.uit.no>".  When you unpack PGPlib-0.3.tar, tar will create
the directory PGPlib-0.3 and place all the files within it.  Unless
you run SunOS, running the script configure should produce Makefiles
that you can use to compile everything.

To verify that everything compiled correctly, you should run the
script applications/test.sh.  Before you do so, you must edit away the
code that asks you to read this file.

COPYRIGHT  (yum, yum)
=========

   The library and included applications are all available under
   "Berkeley style" copyright terms.  Basically, this means that
   PGPlib is FREE for commercial and non-comercial use, and that you
   can do almost anything with the code.  The only thing you can not
   do is to say that you wrote it.  See the file COPYING for details.

////        Tage Stabell-Kuloe         | e-mail: tage@ACM.org          ////
/// Department of Computer Science/IMR | Phone : +47-776-44032         ///
// 9037  University of Tromsoe, Norway | Fax   : +47-776-44580         //
/       "'oe' is '\o' in TeX"          | URL:http://www.cs.uit.no/~tage/

			  PGP Library Announcements

--- end forwarded text

Robert Hettinga (rah@shipwright.com), Philodox
e$, 44 Farquhar Street, Boston, MA 02131 USA
The e$ Home Page: http://www.shipwright.com/

Thread