1997-08-06 - Re: Clinton’s threat of line-item veto affect crypto bill?

Header Data

From: stewarts@ix.netcom.com
To: Ernest Hua <hua@chromatic.com>
Message Hash: 6d65233a2315431100155d91e9b13f9f2a75087ef27d8f8460a988fcdc6455bb
Message ID: <3.0.2.32.19970805100040.0077fe24@popd.ix.netcom.com>
Reply To: <199708042336.QAA00471@ohio.chromatic.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-08-06 06:56:53 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 6 Aug 1997 14:56:53 +0800

Raw message

From: stewarts@ix.netcom.com
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 1997 14:56:53 +0800
To: Ernest Hua <hua@chromatic.com>
Subject: Re: Clinton's threat of line-item veto affect crypto bill?

At 04:36 PM 8/4/97 -0700, Ernest Hua wrote:
>Does anyone have any idea whether Clinton's threat of using the
>line-item veto against portions of the big spending bill could
>be leverage against some pro-SAFE legislators?

The line item veto doesn't eliminate the political games in the budget,
it just changes the details a bit.  Sure, he could threaten to
veto their favorite pork-barrel projects for crossing him on crypto,
just as he could threaten to veto them if they don't support
his favorite pork.  But as someone else said, he can threaten to
veto the crypto bill itself, or (perhaps worse) threaten to veto it
unless it's "balanced", by including controls on domestic cryptography
in return for letting Big Business export more products.

#			Thanks;  Bill
# Bill Stewart, +1-415-442-2215 stewarts@ix.netcom.com
#   (If this is a mailing list or news, please Cc: me on replies.  Thanks.)

Thread