1997-08-13 - Re: Why the government should protect our privacy

Header Data

From: Ray Arachelian <sunder@brainlink.com>
To: Declan McCullagh <declan@well.com>
Message Hash: 6e1b561fc77e8950e2f35296cbe2e9a4f85e96e361e7018642e68bae39cbe5e0
Message ID: <Pine.SUN.3.96.970813105411.7599D-100000@beast.brainlink.com>
Reply To: <Pine.GSO.3.95.970812174748.10940E-100000@well.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-08-13 15:16:49 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 13 Aug 1997 23:16:49 +0800

Raw message

From: Ray Arachelian <sunder@brainlink.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 1997 23:16:49 +0800
To: Declan McCullagh <declan@well.com>
Subject: Re: Why the government should protect our privacy

On Tue, 12 Aug 1997, Declan McCullagh forwarded this bit of text
written by Marc Rotenberg of EPIC who wrote:

> Declan is absolutely right. Good thing there are no real
> privacy officials in the federal government and no privacy
> laws for the Internet to get in the way of these efforts.
>
> Has anyone else noticed that the most sweeping proposals
> for surveillance are coming from the administration that
> has backed the fewest privacy laws of any administration
> in 30 years?
>
> Mere coincidence? I don't think so.
>
> Marc.

Like duh, citizen unit privacy protection is anathema to Big Brother
snooping on said citizen units, why should they care about our privacy?
They slowly chiseled away our constitutional rights to the point where we
can barely fight them.

I've recently attended a SpyKing seminar here in NYC (same week as HOPE)
and it was amazing the amount of info you can social engineer out of
people.  The biggest leaks: your bank, Cable TV, gas & electric companies.

Big Brother might as well not bother to keep records with the wealth of
info kept by the corporations.  But that won't stop them.

.+.^.+.|  Ray Arachelian    |Prying open my 3rd eye.  So good to see |./|\.
..\|/..|sunder@sundernet.com|you once again. I thought you were      |/\|/\
<--*-->| ------------------ |hiding, and you thought that I had run  |\/|\/
../|\..| "A toast to Odin,  |away chasing the tail of dogma. I opened|.\|/.
.+.v.+.|God of screwdrivers"|my eye and there we were....            |.....

Thread