1997-08-29 - SAFE D.O.A.

Header Data

From: John Young <jya@pipeline.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 7364c5c4d7856a2877d5ca8f6bf1ca38066cc75df3c9a62708a794e93bdb742d
Message ID: <1.5.4.32.19970829112443.00729cf8@pop.pipeline.com>
Raw Date: Fri, 29 Aug 1997 19:47:03 +0800

Raw message

From: John Young <jya@pipeline.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 1997 19:47:03 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: SAFE D.O.A.

29 August 1997, C4I News:

A key member of the House National Security Committee (HNSC) said
that a bill loosening export controls on U.S. encryption technology
is "dead on arrival." HNSC has until September 12 to issue
recommendations on the bill.

"I'm not going to support something being ramrodded down our throats,"
Rep.Curt Weldon said in a recent telephone interview.

Weldon said Goodlatte's bill will not reach the House floor because of
Rep. Solomon's opposition.

Unlike NSA, Weldon is unsure whether "key recovery" is an answer to
the security issue posed by loosening export restrictions on encryption.
"I don't like the idea of government controlling business," Weldon said.

-----

Full story:

   http://jya.com/safe-doa.txt

Thread