1997-08-11 - Re: A peculiar notion

Header Data

From: Steve Schear <azur@netcom.com>
To: “David D.W. Downey” <admin@cyberspacetechnologies.com>
Message Hash: 762924c07d84ab77987580c600f7cf857391171cf12dbeaa397cb4b42d43e1ae
Message ID: <v03102808b0140e2f9927@[10.0.2.15]>
Reply To: <v03102800b013d04c0f1b@[10.0.2.15]>
UTC Datetime: 1997-08-11 00:50:34 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 11 Aug 1997 08:50:34 +0800

Raw message

From: Steve Schear <azur@netcom.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 1997 08:50:34 +0800
To: "David D.W. Downey" <admin@cyberspacetechnologies.com>
Subject: Re: A peculiar notion

>Steve Schear wrote:
>
>> In short, the Constitution itself was a casualty of >Lincoln's war. A
>>Pyrrhic victory indeed.
>>
>	For the first time in a long time, I've read a post that actually make
>me seriously consider rethinking what I have been taught. I've studied
>quite a bit in regards to US law and the Consitution, (made necessary by
>my being Pro-PGP), and never looked in that direction. Your post adds a
>very different light to things.  I took the liberty of forwarding your
>post to a few of my old teachers, and they said that even they had not
>looked at history from that point. Thank you for the push.

Even more disheartening is the realization that the war probably wasn't
ncesassary to free the slaves, as the South was already in decline and
slaves were leaving (via the Underground Railroad) in record numbers.  Like
the West's 'victory' over communism, there's good reason to believe that
the South would have collapsed sooner than later due to its untenable
economic structure.  It seems the war substantially fought over economic,
idiological and egotistical reasons.  Big sigh...

--Steve

Thread