1997-08-26 - Stewart Baker on Bernstein encryption decision (fwd)

Header Data

From: Declan McCullagh <declan@well.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 7ed088f59eebba5f41134206cd2faa2b8c328440edc0578528dc90f3761b6d67
Message ID: <Pine.GSO.3.95.970826100258.28546F-100000@well.com>
Raw Date: Wed, 27 Aug 1997 01:18:03 +0800

Raw message

From: Declan McCullagh <declan@well.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 1997 01:18:03 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Stewart Baker on Bernstein encryption decision (fwd)

Date: Tue, 26 Aug 97 11:51:37 EST
From: Stewart Baker <sbaker@mail.steptoe.com>
To: fight-censorship-announce@vorlon.mit.edu, declan@well.com
Subject: Re: FC: John Gilmore to cypherpunks on Bernstein decision

Declan--

John is entitled to brag about the Bernstein decision, but getting the
Department of State to "RWA" all of its pending license applications is nothing
to brag about.  It cost a lot of companies a lot of money, time, and sales while
they resubmitted the same applications to the Commerce Department.

I said at the time that State's advice to crypto exporters in those last few
weeks was "Get your tongue out of my mouth, I'm kissing you good-bye."

Perhaps the cause of this action was the lawsuit, perhaps it was spite at the
crypto exporters who lobbied for a change in jurisdiction, but whatever the
cause, it was not a good thing for anybody who is actually in the crypto
business.

Stewart

Author:  declan@well.com at INTERNET
Date:    8/26/97 10:38 AM