1997-08-16 - Re: state power in cyberspace convention

Header Data

From: Declan McCullagh <declan@pathfinder.com>
To: Anonymous <nobody@replay.com>
Message Hash: a33f9e8f3c1acca37f20e21cb82593c442ddba701f4ab51ff5702651544793bf
Message ID: <Pine.GSO.3.95.970816124409.18069A-100000@cp.pathfinder.com>
Reply To: <199708160953.LAA04010@basement.replay.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-08-16 17:09:48 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 17 Aug 1997 01:09:48 +0800

Raw message

From: Declan McCullagh <declan@pathfinder.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 1997 01:09:48 +0800
To: Anonymous <nobody@replay.com>
Subject: Re: state power in cyberspace convention

This isn't the first such conference. I went to a "Virtual Diplomacy" conf
a few months ago sponsored by a USG-affiliated (or funded) entity, at same
the Connecticut Ave hotel where the Presidential Inaugural Ball was held.

In attendence were many ambassadors, generals, and assorted Foggy Bottom
bureaucrats. (Aside from the campaign trail, I've never before seen so
many security men in one place before.) And the topics were the same...

-Declan

On Sat, 16 Aug 1997, Anonymous wrote:

> Bladder Z. Neurotic wrote:
>
> > From: HotWired
> > by Jon Katz
> > A letter arrived last week inviting me to a 2-day conference called "The
> > Information Revolution: Impact on the Foundations of National Power," to be
> > held 24-25 Sept. outside Chicago.
> > For those unfamiliar with these names, they include former national-security
> > advisors, secretaries of state, secretaries of defense, US senators, and
> > other cabinet secretaries.
>
> > That I am on the list of "invitees" is both a shock and a mortification.
> > I won't be there, though.
>
> Jon,
>   I think you should go to the conference.
>   As a matter of fact I have already prepared a package I would like you
> to take along with you. It should be hand-carried on the plane so that
> it will not be bumped about during your flight.
>   Details to follow.
>
> TruthBomber

Thread