1997-08-11 - Re: Feds Seek PKI Bids

Header Data

From: Bill Stewart <stewarts@ix.netcom.com>
To: “A. Padgett Peterson P.E. Information Security” <PADGETT@hobbes.orl.lmco.com>
Message Hash: badd4c0c408f1040ffe9743f0e52346ab95458e9fd5a2179c7712cd684ad46b8
Message ID: <3.0.2.32.19970811123259.03057908@popd.ix.netcom.com>
Reply To: <970811135334.2020461b@hobbes.orl.lmco.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-08-11 19:45:07 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 12 Aug 1997 03:45:07 +0800

Raw message

From: Bill Stewart <stewarts@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 1997 03:45:07 +0800
To: "A. Padgett Peterson P.E. Information Security" <PADGETT@hobbes.orl.lmco.com>
Subject: Re: Feds Seek PKI Bids

At 01:53 PM 8/11/97 -0400, A. Padgett Peterson P.E. Information Security
wrote:
>>USG published a solicitation today in the CBD for a
>>Public Key Infrastructure which outlines the system
>>requirements:
>>   http://jya.com/pkicbd.htm
>
>Interesting from what is *not* there - any mention of key recovery/key
>escow. Looks like they may finally understand what a Certificate Authority
>is (not holding breath). Do not think much of appelations (Classic & Gold)
>and suspect they may need more than two but sounds like a good start.

I'm not sure that it's not there; I'd have to read it three or four more times
to be sure, but I got the impression it was hidden in the fine print.
The interesting phrase, in the description of "Classic" Certs, is
	"Generation and storage of an asymmetric key pair
	can be accomplished via software."
and for "Gold" Certs,
	"Generation and storage of asymmetric key pairs must be performed
	and protected in hardware."
which sounds like it's implying that the CA will generate the
asymmetric key pairs rather than the user.  I'm sure the interesting
details are hidden in the parts that weren't in the CBD announcement,
which is normally just an abstract of a procurement.

#			Thanks;  Bill
# Bill Stewart, +1-415-442-2215 stewarts@ix.netcom.com
#   (If this is a mailing list or news, please Cc: me on replies.  Thanks.)

Thread