1997-08-22 - Shooting the taggers

Header Data

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
To: cypherpunks@Algebra.COM
Message Hash: bb5121890f2f9ba20a588cef7d5124b101335f8ab42a57a6c100cdf12717a544
Message ID: <v03102804b02380f8e70e@[207.167.93.63]>
Reply To: <199708221538.RAA21396@basement.replay.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-08-22 18:32:27 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 23 Aug 1997 02:32:27 +0800

Raw message

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 1997 02:32:27 +0800
To: cypherpunks@Algebra.COM
Subject: Shooting the taggers

At 8:38 AM -0700 8/22/97, Anonymous wrote:

>We don't need disarmamant.  We need armed responsible citizens forming
>their own militias.  If we had that on a wide scale, we wouldn't need
>a professional army.

Here in Santa Cruz, graffiti spray-painted on the walls of businesses is a
big, and growing, problem. And laws require the businesses to paint over
the grafitti, or otherwise render it invisible, in a quick and timely
manner. (The idea is that the grafitti is offensive to the sensibilities of
others, or somesuch, and that it encourages rival gangs to counter with
their own grafitti.)

And yet can J. Random Businessman defend his property against this
defacing? Nope. The cops say "Let us handle crimes." But they don't.

There's a solution for taggers: snipers.

(I'm indebted to Chip Morningstar for this succinct solution.)

This is just one example of how lawlessness comes from the perception that
ordinary citizen-units have been rendered defenseless against predators.

Another example is that of the East Bay rapist, as reported on here by Bill
Stewart. Can women get concealed carry permits in California? Nope. The
cops say, "We don't want citizens armed...let us enforce the laws."

Right, so that woman facing a rapist gets to wait for the cops to arrive,
assuming she survives the rape.

Or she can carry a gun, illegally, and perhaps survive. One more way the
sheep become felons.

(Cops of my acquaintance urge their wimminfolk, wives and sisters and
daughters and friends, to carry guns in their purses., regardless of what
the law says. A cop at the Sunnyvale Rod and Gun Club gave a girlfriend of
mine pointers on how to use her Mauser HSc .380. The law is an ass.)

--Tim May