1997-08-27 - Re: Socio-Economic Cults (Re: Cypherpunk Cults)

Header Data

From: Sean Roach <roach_s@alph.swosu.edu>
To: cypherpunks@Algebra.COM
Message Hash: d2fbaee360a6972c9fc0c549d75277bdc527ca7b72631e69abb3ae7a4381b088
Message ID: <199708271949.PAA23255@www.video-collage.com>
Raw Date: Thu, 28 Aug 1997 03:55:11 +0800

Raw message

From: Sean Roach <roach_s@alph.swosu.edu>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 1997 03:55:11 +0800
To: cypherpunks@Algebra.COM
Subject: Re: Socio-Economic Cults (Re: Cypherpunk Cults)

At 09:18 AM 8/27/97 +0100, Adam Back wrote:

>It's a distributed system, it's more resilient to abuse than
>governments.
>
>If one person becomes too much of a nuisance (real trigger happy for
>ultra minor infractions -- swearing at them, daring to look at them
>when they're in a bad bood) relatives, friends, or concerned citizens
>will correct (fill trigger happy person with lead).
>
>That's how the wild west worked anyway... outlaws didn't last that
>long.
>
>So you're relying on other peoples sense of fairness ... should easily
>work out better than governments.

Ever heard of mob violence?  Read up on the Salem witch trials when a bunch
of people got together and murdered a bunch of thier own on the evidence of
the rantings of a few girls.

Don't forget hitler, who managed to swing an entire country against a ever
growing list of minorities.  Granted, this was from within government, but
the principle is the same.

Anarchy is good, as long as an us versus them mentality doesn't occur.  That
would require a far more homogenious population than we have now.  If
everyone had the same skin color, hair color, eye color, bone structure, and
color of socks, war would eventually break out over who lived on which side
of the river.

Thread