1997-08-05 - Re: forged cancels (Re: Entrust Technologies’s Solo - free download)

Header Data

From: ? the Platypus {aka David Formosa} <dformosa@st.nepean.uws.edu.au>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: dee872f0c12a348fef9b01d147a6eb6653301a631f4cc246d30a1f6ed827857d
Message ID: <Pine.LNX.3.93.970805165910.757C-100000@shirley>
Reply To: <icJXae1w165w@bwalk.dm.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-08-05 11:55:50 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 5 Aug 1997 19:55:50 +0800

Raw message

From: ? the Platypus {aka David Formosa} <dformosa@st.nepean.uws.edu.au>
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 1997 19:55:50 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: forged cancels (Re: Entrust Technologies's Solo - free download)

On Mon, 4 Aug 1997, Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM wrote:

> wireinfo <wireinfo@phoenix.net> writes:

[...]

> > You're not very bright are you David?
>
> In my humble opinion David is pretty bright.  Unfortunately he's misguided
> about certain things.

Thankyou,  I feel almost the same thing about you :D

> I think the extreme aversion to censorship (like that displayed by imp
> and myself) seldom arises in people who haven't themselves been victims
> of censorship

Dose threats from a multynatnatil corpration count?  Dose living in
Austrlia count?

> The current top "spam canceller", Rich Bland ("cosmo")

Jem seems to have gotten to the top of the list now.

[...]

> Most of the people who scream about their "hatred of spam" on news.* are not
> admins, but fairly recent users who figure that "fighting spam" is a cool
> thing.

Meany of the "I'm pissed off with spam" peaple lack knowlige of the
conciquencers both social and technical of what thay are suggesting.  In
fact there are membours of the anty-cancelers that I trust more then
them.

That being said thouse that are in the center, are more resonable and are
worryed about there activeriese have my support.

[...]

> I was just pointing out that it's factually incorrect to use
> "admins" as a synonym for "anti-spammers".

No sane person would suggest that (i.e. lots of peaple on usenet would
make that suggestion) because if it was true then we wouldn't have the
problems with agis or uunet.

> Many admins are pro-free speech.

I woundn't have it any other way.

[...]

> Chris Lewis and Dave Barr obth
> forge cancels for usenet articles that follow up on their articles and quote
> them, claiming "copyright violations".

This is interesting,  proof please.

[...]

> Once the offending articles are part of the spool on toher site, it's
> pointless for me to issue cancels.

Not even to free up diskspace?

> Note that both have happened:

I know.

- --
Please excuse my spelling as I suffer from agraphia see the url in my header.
Never trust a country with more peaple then sheep.  ex-net.scum and proud
You Say To People "Throw Off Your Chains" And They Make New Chains For
Themselves? --Terry Pratchett

Thread