1997-08-18 - Re: write up AP for FC++

Header Data

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Message Hash: e25311b985dec9f82048007f839224b2d98941f6fba91a07690b5f145ee17d21
Message ID: <v03102802b01e64927313@[207.167.93.63]>
Reply To: <199708181632.SAA09272@xs2.xs4all.nl>
UTC Datetime: 1997-08-18 21:00:48 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 19 Aug 1997 05:00:48 +0800

Raw message

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 1997 05:00:48 +0800
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Subject: Re: write up AP for FC++

At 11:42 AM -0700 8/18/97, Mike Duvos wrote:

>We do really need to put something together on Jim Bell soon.  People have
>been asking about my .sig and I am getting tired of relating the long tale
>to each and every one of them.

Whom are the "we" in this "We really need to put something together..."?

I certainly don't plan to be part of the "we," and this sounds perilously
close to the notion that members of this mailing list are part of some sort
of collective entity, with goals, charters, action plans, officers, oh my.

As for info on Jim Bell, the article by Declan is widely available, and is
quite informative. As for elaborating it further, or including more
boilerplate, this seems pointless. Anyone knew to the story can read
Declan's article. Anyone seeking even more information presumably knows how
to use search engines and should be able to find the various essays and
articles directly.

>Could someone take responsibility for getting all the publicly released
>documents together in one place and perhaps posting a "Jim Bell Home Page"
>to Eternity?

Sounds good to me. Let us know when you've finished it.

(If I sound testy, sorry. It's just that it's been a while since I've heard
this "we should get together and so suchandsuch" stuff.  The notion that
Cypherpunks are some sort of collective is not real useful. Nor is building
a page devoted to Bell's "one trick pony" terribly interesting. Yes, people
are clueless and ask "Who is Jim Bell?" So? Tell them to use search
engines; a HotBot search on "James Dalton Bell" just returned 1078 matches,
several of them on the first page directly applicable. Obviously various
Boolean searches on AP, Bell, IRS, etc. would act in the predictable way.)

--Tim May