1997-08-29 - Re: Krispin Preaches Revolution!

Header Data

From: Kent Crispin <kent@songbird.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: e619251423159403e89726f4630490a21b8739998edd363370019a125fd7fb24
Message ID: <19970829093945.49609@bywater.songbird.com>
Reply To: <03534be19006e0aa4949847a944e6017@anon.efga.org>
UTC Datetime: 1997-08-29 16:52:12 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 30 Aug 1997 00:52:12 +0800

Raw message

From: Kent Crispin <kent@songbird.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 1997 00:52:12 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Krispin Preaches Revolution!

On Fri, Aug 29, 1997 at 11:19:32AM -0400, Anonymous wrote:
> Kent Crispin wrote:
> > On Thu, Aug 28, 1997 at 06:17:09PM -0500, snow wrote:
> > >       Well, the current system stinks, but enough people are buffalo'd into
> > > thinking that it works, so it is doubtful that it will get better.
>
> > People are not "buffalo'd" -- they are happy with a system that gives
> > them a good life.  Therefore, it has to get worse before it gets
> > better.
>
>   I am happy that Kent has finally realized the need to Monkey Wrench
> the "system" to the point where enough citizens get off of their too-
> comfortable asses and address the issues which are leading to an
> increasing number of their fellow citizens being persecuted and fucked
> over by the government.

I have known since I was a grasshopper that people trying to effect
change have a vested interest in making current reality look bad.
People entrenched in the power structure, on the other hand, have a
vested interest in making current reality look good.

This is an interesting competition for observers, bystanders, and
citizens.  If the power structure is flexible, and incorporates
changes that are viewed favorably by the citizens, then the power
structure "wins".  But so do the citizens.

When change doesn't happen, or especially when it goes in a direction
undesired by the revolutionaries, but liked by the citizens, the
effort to make current reality look bad intensifies.  When change
irrevocably passes to an unwanted state, and the revolutionaries
"lose", a residue of Bitter Old Revolutionary Extremists (BOREs)
results.  These toothless old tigers, clinging to their youthful
dreams, rage at a reality that passed them by.  Snarling and
perpetually misunderstood, they wither and waste away, Cheshire cat
evil grimace postcripts to history.

> {Now that we've got Peter Trei forging posts and Kent Crispin is ready
>  to nuke D.C., how long can it be before we convince Blanc to bomb a
>  daycare center?}

I can't speak for Peter or Blanc.  I have no desire to nuke anyone.

--
Kent Crispin				"No reason to get excited",
kent@songbird.com			the thief he kindly spoke...

Thread