1997-08-11 - DCSB: Elliptic Curve Cryptography and Digital Commerce

Header Data

From: Robert Hettinga <rah@shipwright.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: ea9c515f9aa590ab5a1b119f88ccd190c3969891570452d09368c9b874c30112
Message ID: <v0311073eb014ef0475da@[139.167.130.246]>
Raw Date: Tue, 12 Aug 1997 01:04:10 +0800

Raw message

From: Robert Hettinga <rah@shipwright.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 1997 01:04:10 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: DCSB: Elliptic Curve Cryptography and Digital Commerce

--- begin forwarded text

Date: Mon, 11 Aug 1997 11:13:20 -0400
To: dcsb@ai.mit.edu, dcsb-announce@ai.mit.edu
From: Robert Hettinga <rah@shipwright.com>
Sender: bounce-dcsb@ai.mit.edu

<My mistake. The correct payment deadline for this event is August 30, as
noted below... --RAH>

                 The Digital Commerce Society of Boston

                              Presents
                         Dr. Christof Paar
                  Cryptography and Data Security Group,
                   Worcester Polytechnic Institute

             Elliptic Curve Cryptography and Digital Commerce

                        Tuesday, September 2, 1997
                               12 - 2 PM
                   The Downtown Harvard Club of Boston
                     One Federal Street, Boston, MA

Elliptic Curve (EC) public-key cryptosystems have matured from an area of
mainly theoretical interest to a highly practical security tool. EC are a
general-purpose public-key scheme which can provide tasks such as digital
signature, key establishment, and encryption. EC are extremely attractive
because the required operand length is dramatically reduced compared to
RSA and DSA-type algorithms: The security of an RSA system with 1024 bits
corresponds to the security of an EC system with only 160 bits. This can
result in considerably faster processing times, e.g., for digital
signature verification, and shorter certificates. One application area of
special interest are smart cards.

This talk will give a brief, non-technical introduction to EC system.
Current security estimations relatively to RSA will be provided. We will
talk about performance and the adoption of EC systems in standard bodies.

Christof Paar leads the Cryptography and Data Security group in the ECE
department of Worcester Polytechnic Institute.  Dr. Paar's research
interests include security issues in wireless and ATM networks, smart
cards, efficient implementation of elliptic and hyperelliptic curve
public-key algorithms, and hardware implementation of cryptosystems.  Dr.
Christof Paar received a BSEE degree from the Technical College of
Cologne, Germany.  He obtained an MSEE degree from the University of
Siegen, Germany, and did graduate research at Michigan Technological
University.  From 1991-1994 he worked as research fellow at the Institute
for Experimental Mathematics in Essen, Germany, from where he received a
Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering.  In 1993 and '94 he spent time as a
visiting researcher at the University of Massachusetts at Amherst.

This meeting of the Digital Commerce Society of Boston will be held on
Tuesday, September 2, 1997, from 12pm - 2pm at the Downtown Branch of the
Harvard Club of Boston, on One Federal Street. The price for lunch is
$30.00. This price includes lunch, room rental, various A/V hardware, and
the speaker's lunch. ;-).  The Harvard Club *does* have dress code: jackets
and ties for men (and no sneakers or jeans), and "appropriate business
attire" (whatever that means), for women.  Fair warning: since we purchase
these luncheons in advance, we will be unable to refund the price of your
lunch if the Club finds you in violation of the dress code.

We will attempt to record this meeting and put it on the web in RealAudio
format at some future date

We need to receive a company check, or money order, (or, if we *really*
know you, a personal check) payable to "The Harvard Club of Boston", by
Saturday, August 30, or you won't be on the list for lunch.  Checks
payable to anyone else but The Harvard Club of Boston will have to be
sent back.

Checks should be sent to Robert Hettinga, 44 Farquhar Street, Boston,
Massachusetts, 02131. Again, they *must* be made payable to "The Harvard
Club of Boston", in the amount of $30.00.

If anyone has questions, or has a problem with these arrangements (We've
had to work with glacial A/P departments more than once, for instance),
please let us know via e-mail, and we'll see if we can work something
out.

Upcoming speakers for DCSB are:

October   Peter Cassidy        Military Fiat and Digital Commerce
November  Carl Ellison         Identity and Certification for Electronic
                                Commerce

We are actively searching for future speakers.  If you are in Boston on
the first Tuesday of the month, and you would like to make a
presentation to the Society, please send e-mail to the DCSB Program
Commmittee, care of Robert Hettinga, <mailto: rah@shipwright.com> .

For more information about the Digital Commerce Society of Boston, send
"info dcsb" in the body of a message to <mailto: majordomo@ai.mit.edu> .
If you want to subscribe to the DCSB e-mail list, send "subscribe dcsb" in
the body of a message to <mailto: majordomo@ai.mit.edu> .

We look forward to seeing you there!

Cheers,
Robert Hettinga
Moderator,
The Digital Commerce Society of Boston

Robert Hettinga (rah@shipwright.com), Philodox
e$, 44 Farquhar Street, Boston, MA 02131 USA
The e$ Home Page: http://www.shipwright.com/

--- end forwarded text

Robert Hettinga (rah@shipwright.com), Philodox
e$, 44 Farquhar Street, Boston, MA 02131 USA
The e$ Home Page: http://www.shipwright.com/

Thread