1997-09-04 - Re: FBI calls for mandatory key escrow; Denning on export ctrls

Header Data

From: Declan McCullagh <declan@pathfinder.com>
To: John Young <jya@pipeline.com>
Message Hash: 0c69f1cc79aab9cbc0946397aa4b94583bbd2cd2cfde1d5bc9b7405389efabef
Message ID: <Pine.GSO.3.95.970904094034.24851D-100000@cp.pathfinder.com>
Reply To: <1.5.4.32.19970904132738.0071dd00@pop.pipeline.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-09-04 14:03:29 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 4 Sep 1997 22:03:29 +0800

Raw message

From: Declan McCullagh <declan@pathfinder.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 1997 22:03:29 +0800
To: John Young <jya@pipeline.com>
Subject: Re: FBI calls for mandatory key escrow; Denning on export ctrls

The article says:

   September 4, 1997
   Encryption Tops Wide-Ranging Net Agenda in Congress
   By JERI CLAUSING

   WASHINGTON -- As Congress returns from its summer break this week, it
   faces a host of legislative initiatives that could shape the future of
   online privacy, commerce and jurisdiction.

   Topping the agenda is encryption, an issue that has pitted President
   Clinton and his top crime fighters against virtually everybody else.

I think that's basically right. Who else (besides perhaps local and state
"crime fighters," the spooks, and some key escrow-happy businesses)
supports this policy?

-Declan

On Thu, 4 Sep 1997, John Young wrote:

> The on-line NYT's claim today that everyone except the
> administration is opposed to its crypto policy is daring
> hyperbole. What's your take on that?
>
>   http://jya.com/crypto-tops.htm

Thread