1997-09-01 - Re: Encouraging News - France

Header Data

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
To: “Brian B. Riley” <cypherpunks@cyberpass.net>
Message Hash: 2b94f6676db6d5e3dca0daeb3c933ceddcbba646a3fc370c0d935cca8ef0d147
Message ID: <v03102801b030b79f7be2@[207.167.93.63]>
Raw Date: Tue, 2 Sep 1997 02:29:40 +0800

Raw message

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 1997 02:29:40 +0800
To: "Brian B. Riley" <cypherpunks@cyberpass.net>
Subject: Re: Encouraging News - France

I should've added to my last post that not only am I skeptical that
citizens in France will be able to use truly strong, unbreakable crypto,
but that the "encouraging news" is quite likely just the opposite.

No solution which involves key escrow or "mandatory voluntary" key recovery
is "encouraging."

The French do not have a solid basis for protection of free speech, as the
United States (mostly) does. We Americans can point to the First Amendment
and pretty much nuke any proposals to place prior restraint on the forms or
content of speech, including the languages we speak to each other in,
whether Navaho, Urdu, or PGP.

This is why so many of us are opposed to SAFE, which for the sake of eased
export requirements would infringe on domestic use of crypto. (By
felonizing crypto use in conjunction with a crime, and that crime could be
any one of thousands of crimes on the books.)

So, I doubt strongly the news out of France is "encouraging." Rather, I
expect France is about to fall into line with the OECD agreements on
escrowed encryption.

As so many Cypherpunks apparently like to say, "Feh."

--Tim May