1997-09-03 - Missing Kids and Porn Links

Header Data

From: Damaged Justice <frogfarm@yakko.cs.wmich.edu>
To: cypherpunks@Algebra.COM
Message Hash: 2c376da94a8a91f757fe760e162bfcb21f63f1704177858f8b4e01c87f5e6a1b
Message ID: <199709030151.VAA07747@yakko.cs.wmich.edu>
Raw Date: Wed, 3 Sep 1997 09:44:04 +0800

Raw message

From: Damaged Justice <frogfarm@yakko.cs.wmich.edu>
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 1997 09:44:04 +0800
To: cypherpunks@Algebra.COM
Subject: Missing Kids and Porn Links

[Relevant for all recent discussions on "linking without permission", as
well as the usual childpornhysteriamongering.]

   [1]SIDEBAR

                          [2]Newsbytes Advertising

Missing Children Pix On Websites Overpopular

   ****Missing Children Pix On Websites Overpopular 09/02/97 SEATTLE,
   WASHINGTON, U.S.A., 1997 AUG 29 (NB) -- By Bruce Miller. The National
   Center for Missing and Exploited Children (NCMEC) encourages the
   owners of Web sites to add a link that will bring up the picture of a
   different missing child every ten minutes. According to Ruben
   Rodriguez, Supervisor of the Exploited Child Unit, the Center is
   getting 70 to 80 requests a day for information to create the link.
   Some sites, however, have taken the initiative themselves, including
   pornographic Web sites.

   "This is the kiss of death for us," said Rodriguez. "We want the
   public to help us find missing and exploited children. The Internet
   public is coming to us to display our banner on our sites.
   Unfortunately, there are some locations on the Internet that are
   inappropriate."

   One popular porn site proclaims on its home page that, "This Site
   Cares About Our Young Children! Please Take A Few Seconds To Look At
   The Pictures Of The Missing Children!! Every Ten Minutes When You
   Reload A Different Child's Picture Appears! If We Can Save Just ONE!
   Then Wouldn't That Be Worth It?" That particular site, said Rodriguez,
   will get a cease and desist letter from the Center's chief legal
   counsel.

   The popularity of linking to the rotating banner has added to another
   problem: load capacity on the Web server hosting the Center. With a
   million hits a day presently, and growing, the Center is looking
   around for a new site with greater capacity to eliminate congestion.

   For information about signing up with the banner program, send e-mail
   to banner@ncmec.com. Be patient, the popularity has put the staff a
   bit behind in responding.

   NCMEC's Web site is at [3]http://www.missingkids.com ; mirror site
   [4]http://www.missingkids.org .

   (19970902/Reported by Newsbytes News Network
   [5]http://www.newsbytes.com /EXKIDS/PHOTO)

   "The Pulse of the Information Age" Newsbytes News Network
   [6]http://www.newsbytes.com 24-hour computer, telecom and online news

   [7]Copyright (c)Newsbytes News Network. All rightsreserved. For more
   Newsbytes see http://www.newsbytes.com.

       [8]Home | [9]Daily | [10]Weekly | [11]Publishers | [12]Search