1997-09-27 - Re: Technology center

Header Data

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
To: “stuey” <cypherpunks@cyberpass.net>
Message Hash: 2f3811b8b474b366515aab3b134f19bf9a62f3789e946ed2910d84c3d98281ec
Message ID: <v03102800b05215adf5a3@[207.167.93.63]>
Reply To: <199709270035.RAA01323@geocities.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-09-27 02:03:11 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 27 Sep 1997 10:03:11 +0800

Raw message

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 1997 10:03:11 +0800
To: "stuey" <cypherpunks@cyberpass.net>
Subject: Re: Technology center

At 5:32 PM -0700 9/26/97, stuey wrote:
> >What I think they'll do is work on virus software.  They can write
>>something which will hack the crypto on your PC and make it weak.
>>If they want to wiretap some drug dealer, they get him to download
>>one of their programs somehow.  Maybe they've got a Java bug which
>>lets them hack files when he goes to a certain web page.  Or maybe
>>they get him to download some free demo of a game or interaction
>>service (hotchicks.com).  Whatever, the program actually looks for
>>PGP and other crypto software and hacks it.  Now the FBI can read
>>his stuff.
>
>What we have here is a technology race.  Assuming it is legal for a
>hypothetical government organization to pull a stunt like that, we merely
>build our own encryption software that is compatible with the current stuff,
>or failing that have an unreasonable amount of different publically
>available versions out there.

Well, paranoia can be useful at times, but this is ludicrous.

Will the Evil Virii be able to overwrite CD-ROM bits? (I use a CD-R to
backup my critical files, which a set of it stored elsewhere.)

If viruses are their main means of attack, I'll breathe easy.

--Tim May