1997-09-09 - Re: Net Papa: Global Internet Taxes Inevitable

Header Data

From: “Jim Burnes” <jim.burnes@n-o–s-p-a-m.ssds.com>
To: rah@shipwright.com>
Message Hash: 4a11aad7a8a0ef8203ee781f333165fa6aa6594d5ee86d482f8d3e53a0aeead7
Message ID: <199709092016.OAA19230@denver.ssds.com>
Reply To: <v03110729b03b42f3681f@[139.167.130.247]>
UTC Datetime: 1997-09-09 20:35:55 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 10 Sep 1997 04:35:55 +0800

Raw message

From: "Jim Burnes" <jim.burnes@n-o--s-p-a-m.ssds.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 1997 04:35:55 +0800
To: rah@shipwright.com>
Subject: Re: Net Papa: Global Internet Taxes Inevitable

Jeez.  I'm glad I sold all my Cerf shares at www.roguemarket.com

>    ...Taxation of the Internet, also called "bit taxes," must be well
>    planned, Cerf said. "And it must also be thought through on a global
>    scale -- not parochially," he said. In the United States. alone, there
>    are 30,000 taxing authorities that might be interested in taxing
>    transactions on the Internet, said Cerf, adding that right now, there
>    is no way to determine which of those authorities should have
>    jurisdiction over a particular transaction.

Its amazing that Cerf doesn't even understand the implications of the
network that he designed.  Or maybe he does understand and just
doesn't like the fact that big bro is getting cut out of his future
utopia.

>    ..."If something is becoming an infrastructure that is important for
>    people's daily lives, then governments will have the right to be
>    concerned about the public's safety and well-being," Cerf said.

Yes and they've done such a good job protecting the public's safety
and well-being.  I don't remember the constitution spelling out
anything about "governments rights".  Just the feds and states
limited powers.

If paranoia was on the agenda, someone would be shouting
New World Order at this point.

;-)

Jim Burnes
Engineer, Western Security, SSDS Inc