1997-09-13 - Re: killing off the looming J. Edgar Hoover gorilla

Header Data

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
To: “Attila T. Hun” <cypherpunks@cyberpass.net>
Message Hash: 4c5fc7c67b5de232501439aa797b10149bfc0bdbd51aa440539122ea6a064e0a
Message ID: <v03102801b03fccb73dcf@[207.167.93.63]>
Reply To: <199709130429.WAA28625@infowest.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-09-13 05:07:12 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 13 Sep 1997 13:07:12 +0800

Raw message

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 1997 13:07:12 +0800
To: "Attila T. Hun" <cypherpunks@cyberpass.net>
Subject: Re: killing off the looming J. Edgar Hoover gorilla

At 9:27 PM -0700 9/12/97, Attila T. Hun wrote:

>    civil disobedience, despite the Feds learning from the Chicago 7
>    trial that selective individual prosecution is more effective to
>    strike terror in the hearts and souls of the 'deviants', needs to
>    be organized at _all_ colleges and law firms, who unfortunately
>    are at least as techno-illiterate as the members of Congress.

Well, like I said before, I hope to send a signal like this next Friday,
the 19th, at Stanford. (Seems the Fascist in Chief and his royal entourage
will be visiting campus that day. What an amazing coincidence.)

But I don't think you'll find too many law school students involved in such
activism. My hunch, and I've dealt with some of them, is that their minds
are on the law firms they hope to join, not on issues of "right" and
"wrong." (In fact, and Prof. Froomkin is free to correct me, or the legal
larvae can, issues of "jurisprudence" are passe. Even the "ethics" they
study seems to be more related to keeping their hands out of the cookie
jar, to avoiding being sued by unhappy clients, and to not getting caught
in ethics violations.)

As Shakespeare might have said, "First, we mcveigh all the law schools."

--Tim May