1997-09-13 - Bean Counting II

Header Data

From: nobody@REPLAY.COM (Anonymous)
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Message Hash: 5fa00c2c84419d44f3b505c36c9aed0c1c0cafc0f76046f106c938ef1b6ec305
Message ID: <199709130305.FAA21883@basement.replay.com>
Reply To: <bvbLgDBYeZtLKxtOwBy+tw==@bureau42.ml.org>
UTC Datetime: 1997-09-13 03:09:28 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 13 Sep 1997 11:09:28 +0800

Raw message

From: nobody@REPLAY.COM (Anonymous)
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 1997 11:09:28 +0800
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Subject: Bean Counting II

bureau42 Anonymous Remailer <remailer@bureau42.ml.org> wrote:

> Does anyone know if the government has released any firm figures on the
> number of lives that would be saved from terrorist activities with the
> outlawing of strong encryption and mandatory key escrow?
>
> If we had the proper figures to work with then we could make a valid
> judgment as to how many lives anti-GAK supporters would have to put
> in danger in order to tip the balance so that it would be in the best
> interests of the citizens to allow strong non-GAK'ed crypto.
> I, for one, would hate to see lives lost needlessly merely because
> those opposing GAK did not have the proper figures to work with.

That's like asking, "If the feds get what they want, how many more churches
will they burn, and how many more families will they shoot in the woods?"

The answer is nobody knows.  But judging from from history it seems that
when they feds are allowed to do whatever they want, innocent people often
get killed.

A better question to ask is how many more people will die before we do
something about the corrupt federal agents.

Thread