1997-09-12 - Re: Bean Counting II

Header Data

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
To: cypherpunks@Algebra.COM
Message Hash: 6b55a31db34ad873e245c121aabbd16c56ae000b207f40957abd48b66bb04807
Message ID: <v0310280eb03e81265f20@[207.167.93.63]>
Reply To: <bvbLgDBYeZtLKxtOwBy+tw==@bureau42.ml.org>
UTC Datetime: 1997-09-12 05:27:37 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 12 Sep 1997 13:27:37 +0800

Raw message

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 1997 13:27:37 +0800
To: cypherpunks@Algebra.COM
Subject: Re: Bean Counting II

At 9:26 PM -0700 9/11/97, bureau42 Anonymous Remailer wrote:
>Does anyone know if the government has released any firm figures on the
>number of lives that would be saved from terrorist activities with the
>outlawing of strong encryption and mandatory key escrow?
>
>If we had the proper figures to work with then we could make a valid
>judgment as to how many lives anti-GAK supporters would have to put
>in danger in order to tip the balance so that it would be in the best
>interests of the citizens to allow strong non-GAK'ed crypto.
>I, for one, would hate to see lives lost needlessly merely because
>those opposing GAK did not have the proper figures to work with.

This is a worthless and dangerous argument to make. If you can't see why,
you have no business writing articles on this list.

Hint: "The greatest good for the greatest number" is passe.

--Tim May