1997-09-13 - Real issue of crypto controls: security or taxation loss?

Header Data

From: jf_avon@citenet.net
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 6d14a7cbd5335c6606d48205eb95d010a6c760cda296ad21efc549325b298229
Message ID: <199709131600.MAA22590@cti06.citenet.net>
Raw Date: Sun, 14 Sep 1997 00:03:00 +0800

Raw message

From: jf_avon@citenet.net
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 1997 00:03:00 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Real issue of crypto controls: security or taxation loss?

Hi.

I've been lazily following the crypto-control issue through e$pam
list.

Somebody posted a question asking how many peoples would eventually
be victims of crypto-enhanced crime.

Then, TM came to say that this is irrelevant.  TM was right in the
context of the post, but it led me to ask myself this
(vague) question:

	What is the real issue here, what makes the govt so insistent about
	wanting to ban crypto?  What is such a threat to them that it makes
	them pass laws that are profoundly against the US constitution?

	What causes their panic?

To this, all I can find of enough magnitude to put them in such state
is that they just recently *truly* realized that crypto will,
infinitely more than to threaten the security of the state,
threaten their very existence by putting them outside of the money
loop.

To paraphrase somebody, "individuals recognize taxation as damage and
routes their e$ around"

I think that *this* debate should be injected in the population and
the *bogus* "national security" debate should be dismissed as,
just that : bogus.

*Everybody* not living on govt taxated money gets a sparkle in their
eyes when I introduce them to crypto via the e-$ topic.  And all of
the others gets pale...  ;-)

For most peoples, privacy in itself is worth something only if
if they have some *value* they want to preserve.  Most of the
time, this value concretizes itself as "money".  So if we talk to
them in terms *they* understand, we run a much better chance to make
them understand why spreading crypto is a tool we believe will
greatly enhance human's life quality.

Any comments about why we should *not* put most emphasis on the
financial aspect of crypto?

Ciao

jfa
--
Jean-Francois Avon, Pierrefonds(Montreal) QC Canada
  JFA Technologies, R&D physicists & engineers

Thread