1997-09-25 - Re: The Telcos oppose Oxley

Header Data

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
To: Lizard <lizard@mrlizard.com>
Message Hash: 73d1eb49180402992699696b1f136c851f248b61b5136b8a6c4c0cb6cc92cb6b
Message ID: <v03102801b04f78b7716f@[207.167.93.63]>
Reply To: <v03007803b04f44c3de03@[204.254.22.38]>
UTC Datetime: 1997-09-25 02:27:14 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 25 Sep 1997 10:27:14 +0800

Raw message

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 1997 10:27:14 +0800
To: Lizard <lizard@mrlizard.com>
Subject: Re: The Telcos oppose Oxley

At 6:15 PM -0700 9/24/97, Lizard wrote:

>Though, on second thought, there is a serious issue with it -- if, as
>we hope, encryption becomes widespread, than anyone doing anything
>will be using it;including 'in the commission of a crime'. This could
>make petty misdemeanors into 20 year federal crimes, and THAT is
>something to worry about. Hm.

I think you're beginning to see what we have been saying for many months....

I think it was Bill Stewart who recently described all the various minor
crimes which will likely soon involve crypto, things like calling for a
hooker on a phone that has crypto in it, using a Metricom Ricochet wireless
system to send banned words to a foreigner, and so on. All kinds of minor
crimes suddenly have 10- and 20-year sentences attached.

(Do I think it likely that someone ordering the hooker du jour with his
cellphone will face such sentences? Probably not. They're small fry. But
political persons, like Jim Bell, like others, will very likely see these
10- and 20-year sentences--which will go into the "sentencing guidelines"
(rules) and hence be almost unavoidable--and this will help them to come to
really and truly _love_ Big Brother!)

The good news today is that if Salomon keeps to his word, the Security and
Fascism Through Escrow Act is dead, dead, dead.

--Tim May