1997-09-11 - Hiawatha Bray’s column on key-recovery crypto

Header Data

From: “Arnold G. Reinhold” <reinhold@world.std.com>
To: Hiawatha Bray <wathab@tiac.net>
Message Hash: 74a5695f8a277200f8e815668dad6ee35c75fa9f142626e16e08429181058f70
Message ID: <v03110700b03da212fad1@[10.0.2.15]>
Reply To: <v03110705b03cd2f252b6@[139.167.130.247]>
UTC Datetime: 1997-09-11 14:00:41 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 11 Sep 1997 22:00:41 +0800

Raw message

From: "Arnold G. Reinhold" <reinhold@world.std.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 1997 22:00:41 +0800
To: Hiawatha Bray <wathab@tiac.net>
Subject: Hiawatha Bray's column on key-recovery crypto

Hiawatha Bray <wathab@tiac.net> of the Boston Globe wrote:

>I hate to tip folks off as to my column for tomorrow, but that's exactly
>what I'm doing in it.  I have written that if the Feds try to impose
>key-recovery crypto on me, I'll start using some encryption program that
>doesn't comply with the law, and I'll send copies of the messages to the
>Feds, so they can come and arrest me.  If I really thought they would, I
>wouldn't have written it!  But I'll stand by it.

Hiawatha, I enjoyed your column (Boston Globe Business Section Sept. 11),
but why don't you announce that you have a PGP key, print it's signature in
a column and ask people to use it to send you news tips? This would enable
a freedom of the press challange to GAK.

>Anyway, I don't presently encrypt my mail.  No reason to--I ain't no
>pedophile...;-)
>So if I want to send crypto I must find some partner in crime.  Any
>volunteers?

Count me in. My PGP key is available from my home page
http://world.std.com/~reinhold and the servers and its signature is printed
in E-mail for Dummies, 2nd Edition, page 232. People are invited to send me
ideas and tips via encrypted mail for future books.

Thread