1997-09-25 - Soviet spies at NSA

Header Data

From: ichudov@Algebra.COM (Igor Chudov @ home)
To: cypherpunks@manifold.algebra.com
Message Hash: 7d36f789fa28ce5f4dfcb3335f42d4665b786cf106105591909749ab58db902e
Message ID: <199709250025.TAA06307@manifold.algebra.com>
Raw Date: Thu, 25 Sep 1997 08:38:31 +0800

Raw message

From: ichudov@Algebra.COM (Igor Chudov @ home)
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 1997 08:38:31 +0800
To: cypherpunks@manifold.algebra.com
Subject: Soviet spies at NSA

http://customnews.cnn.com/cnews/pna.show_story?p_art_id=341606&p_section_name=&p_art_type=11066&p_subcat=Russia&p_category=Europe

[look at the last paragraph]

Former Army Clerk Sentenced for Cold War
             Espionage

             AP
             24-SEP-97

             PHILADELPHIA (AP) A former Army clerk at the National
             Security Agency was sentenced to 18 years in prison
             Wednesday for selling secrets to the Soviet Union three
             decades ago.

             Robert S. Lipka, 51, pleaded guilty in May to conspiracy to
             commit espionage. He was arrested last year after his
             ex-wife betrayed him.

             "I put this to rest many years ago, and I never dreamed it
             would come out like this," a tearful Lipka told U.S.
             District Judge Charles R.  Weiner. "I owe an apology to a
             lot of people."

             Lipka was trained as an intelligence analyst and had top
             security clearance with the NSA at Fort Meade, Md., where
             he was responsible for distributing and destroying
             classified documents.

             Between 1965 and 1967, Lipka photographed documents with a
             camera provided by the Soviets and dropped the film off in
             a park for up to $1,000 a drop, prosecutors said. He
             allegedly got a total of $27,000 from the KGB.

             In the late 1960s, Lipka told his then-wife, Patricia, that
             he was selling NSA materials to the Soviets. The couple
             married in 1966 and divorced in 1974.

             In 1993, after Lipka's wife went to authorities, Lipka
             recounted the arrangement for an FBI agent posing as a
             Soviet spy.

             After his arrest, the coin collector and gambler from
             Millersville threatened to reveal government secrets on the
             Internet if his case were not dropped.

             The judge also fined Lipka $10,000.

Thread