1997-09-10 - Re: Government shows its hand…good news!

Header Data

From: Declan McCullagh <declan@well.com>
To: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
Message Hash: 86e5f84edd4c8a747c2efa2b32ca66c9c5dd218976cd207adef44b26086a6958
Message ID: <Pine.GSO.3.95.970909194656.9741B-100000@well.com>
Reply To: <v03102801b03bb9406f3a@[207.167.93.63]>
UTC Datetime: 1997-09-10 02:59:54 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 10 Sep 1997 10:59:54 +0800

Raw message

From: Declan McCullagh <declan@well.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 1997 10:59:54 +0800
To: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
Subject: Re: Government shows its hand...good news!

Let me type in that section. But I'm talking about the issue of the
constitutionality of the legislation, of course. National security and
all.

-Declan

On Tue, 9 Sep 1997, Tim May wrote:

> At 5:57 PM -0700 9/9/97, Declan McCullagh wrote:
> >I won't comment on Tim's second possibility, but the amendment added to
> >SAFE today by one committee //prohibits// judicial review. So much for the
> >Supremes likely to strike it down.
> >

> "Prohibits" in what sense, and in what language?
>
> There's obviously a difference between prohibiting judicial review of
> specific wiretaps and the issue of the constitutionality of the legislation
> itself! I can only surmise you must mean that language has been added
> saying magistrates, etc. are not part of the wiretap process.
>
> Clearly Congress, by the separation of powers arrangement we have in the
> U.S., cannot say "And, oh by the way, the Supreme Court is not allowed to
> declare this law unconstitutional."
>
> --Tim May
>
> There's something wrong when I'm a felon under an increasing number of laws.
> Only one response to the key grabbers is warranted: "Death to Tyrants!"
> Timothy C. May              | Crypto Anarchy: encryption, digital money,
> tcmay@got.net  408-728-0152 | anonymous networks, digital pseudonyms, zero
> W.A.S.T.E.: Corralitos, CA  | knowledge, reputations, information markets,
> Higher Power: 2^1398269     | black markets, collapse of governments.
> "National borders aren't even speed bumps on the information superhighway."

Thread