1997-09-20 - Re: Crypto-law etc

Header Data

From: Jonathan Wienke <JonWienk@ix.netcom.com>
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Message Hash: 899fd7a8ac4c0d8961edeb49fc3c1704bbb68639cf8886419b4dad4c9f9b43f6
Message ID: <3.0.3.32.19970920102956.00733fa0@popd.netcruiser>
Reply To: <199709182314.SAA23318@email.plnet.net>
UTC Datetime: 1997-09-20 17:46:39 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 21 Sep 1997 01:46:39 +0800

Raw message

From: Jonathan Wienke <JonWienk@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 1997 01:46:39 +0800
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Subject: Re: Crypto-law etc

--Boundary..3984.1071713733.multipart/signed

At 06:17 PM 9/18/97 -0500, John Kelsey wrote:
>Sure.  We get the same right to bear it as we have to own rocket
>launchers, machine guns, or flame throwers--none.  The second
>amendment hasn't protected our right to possess those things,
>which pretty clearly fall into the realm of its direct intentions--why
>would it protect our right to use crypto, which isn't even that clear
>cut?

Actually, in many jurisdictions, flame-throwers are NOT illegal. Legally
defining the difference between a "flamethrower", an "acetylene torch", a
"cigarette lighter" a "portable gas grill", and various other common
fire-producing items is even stickier than legally defining an "assault
weapon" or a "Saturday night special". Besides, flamethrowers are not yet
the weapon of choice for drug dealers, terrorists, child pornographers, and
muggers, so most otherwise anti-2nd amendment legislators haven't thought
to make them illegal. (Ever hear of a drive-by flamethrowing?)
Besides, you can make your own flamethrower out of a push-button butane
lighter (the kind that makes a spark to light the butane) and one of those
pump-up pressure sprayers available at Home Depot or Sears, as long as it
has a metal wand/nozzle assembly. All you need to do is attach the lighter
to the wand in a manner that prevents liquid from the nozzle from dripping
on your hand, drill the nozzle out so it produces a stream instead of a
mist, and fill the sprayer up with gasoline. Pump it up, and you have an
untraceable (if you buy the materials with cash) short-range riot
suppression tool for less than $30, including the gasoline to fill it.

If you want to get really nasty, mix some styrofoam in with the gasoline so
it starts becoming sticky. (Can you say napalm?) Of course, making the
gasoline too viscous will reduce its ability to be sprayed, so experiment
before using in a critical situation to determine the optimum balance
between desired burn characteristics and sprayability.

DISCLAIMER:
The above information is presented for educational purposes only. It is not
intended as legal advice, consult the local authorities before constructing
your flamethrower. IANAL. Misuse of the preceding information can result in
death or serious injury. "Fire is cool, Beavis." "Yeah, uh, cool, huhuhuhuh."

Jonathan Wienke

What part of "the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be
infringed" is too hard to understand? (From 2nd Amendment, U.S. Constitution)

PGP 2.6.2 RSA Key Fingerprint: 7484 2FB7 7588 ACD1  3A8F 778A 7407 2928
DSS/D-H Key Fingerprint: 3312 6597 8258 9A9E D9FA  4878 C245 D245 EAA7 0DCC
Public keys available at pgpkeys.mit.edu. PGP encrypted e-mail preferred.

Get your assault crypto before they ban it!

US/Canadian Windows 95/NT or Mac users:
Get Eudora Light + PGP 5.0 for free at http://www.eudora.com/eudoralight/
Get PGP 5.0 for free at http://bs.mit.edu:8001/pgp-form.html

Non-US PGP 5.0 sources:
http://www.ifi.uio.no/pgp/
http://www.heise.de/ct/pgpCA/download.shtml
ftp://ftp.pca.dfn.de/pub/pgp/V5.0/
ftp://ftp.fu-berlin.de/pub/pc/win95/pgp
ftp://ftp.fu-berlin.de/pub/mac/pgp
http://www.shopmiami.com/utopia.hacktic.nl/pub/replay/pub/pgp/pgp50/win/

RSA export-o-matic:

--Boundary..3984.1071713733.multipart/signed

LS0tLS1CRUdJTiBQR1AgU0lHTkFUVVJFLS0tLS0KVmVyc2lvbjogUEdQIGZv
ciBQZXJzb25hbCBQcml2YWN5IDUuMApNZXNzYWdlSUQ6IHV0dHRaUVFyWEJl
eGpIYmxZR1lhU3VWNFE4dEs1YkNwCgppUUEvQXdVQk5DUUlnc0pGMGtYcXB3
M01FUUlGQXdDZlR6dVRPaEFDQTFYNXhBMkl4cWllWENRZkJSd0FvTUJDCkx0
MzZqMHdNelk3aVRXQitWSWUvWlJ6ego9d3dyNAotLS0tLUVORCBQR1AgU0lH
TkFUVVJFLS0tLS0K
--Boundary..3984.1071713733.multipart/signed--

Thread