1997-09-27 - Re: Remailer Attack (fwd)

Header Data

From: phelix@vallnet.com
To: cypherpunks@Algebra.COM
Message Hash: 91d0cf21bbbd39ea1099333e917968d2b7f093a920b12c110138feadd7dd6fb0
Message ID: <342d981a.4321823@128.2.84.191>
Raw Date: Sat, 27 Sep 1997 13:38:41 +0800

Raw message

From: phelix@vallnet.com
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 1997 13:38:41 +0800
To: cypherpunks@Algebra.COM
Subject: Re: Remailer Attack (fwd)

On 26 Sep 1997 23:18:00 -0500, Jim Choate <ravage@ssz.com> wrote:

> [...]

[ stuff deleted]

>> And I mentioned this specifically.
>
>I'll grant you mentioned digital postage. This simply is not robust enough
>to handle the world of a commercial remailer operator. We'll just have to
>agree to disagree here because the standard digital postage argument simply
>doesn't sway me to support it.

What's wrong with the idea of digital postage?  What else do you have in
mind?

There are a couple of problems that arise when money in any form gets
involved:

1)  refunds:  If one remailer in a chain fails to deliver a message, How
does a user get a refund without having the message traced back to him?

2)  Business/Gov't dishonesty:  Imagine if 50% of all remailers are owned
and operated by the same company.  Now imagine if that company did not have
the same morality/ideaology as we do.  Now imagine if that same company was
LEA friendly. I don't think I need to tell you why this is a bad thing.

Thread